Thursday, December 03, 2009

Pregnancy Q&A/Comments

Q: What's with the hospital bracelet?

A: I started bleeding again yesterday (the first time was last Wed in the middle of Oregon on our way to Utah...TMI? Oh well, it's my blog!). Called the doc to see if I could get in that day or the next. Receptionist saw that I was pregnant and said she would fit me in. No cramping/contractions, babe is still moving and active. Got a phone call about 20 minutes later from the doc's office telling me that I needed to go straight to the birthing center at Harrison Hospital. For real? I caught Ty just before he hit the road to Tacoma for classes, got a neighbor to watch the kids, then headed to the hospital. "Do we think we're in labor?" asked a kindly nurse as we got into a room. "Oh, heaven's no. We hope not." Then I was hooked up to all sorts of monitors, an ultrasound was done, my cervix was checked. The results? We have no idea why you're bleeding. Could it have just been my mucous plug? No idea, probably not since the blood was bright red. Call again if the bleeding continues (it had subsided to spotting by this time) or if you are having contractions close together or the baby stops moving. $200 copay and three hours later, that was that. Everything seems fine. Thank heavens!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Do you have a name for the babe?

A: Yes. I've been slightly hesitant to share because I was foolish enough to share with some friends when we were narrowed down to four. Obviously, if we're that close to a name these are not names that we hate. However, I got some negative responses: Several scrunched-up noses, "Yeah, if you want him to be made fun of his whole life", "What would you call him, then?" You mean aside from his given name? Ummm....

We're in love with his name, by the way. More on it later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A lady I'd never met before was at our ward party at the beginning of November. She stood in front of me holding her 8-month-old and told me, "I sometimes think about having another one, but then I looked at you and remembered how uncomfortable it is. Maybe we are done." Glad to be of service, sister.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
At the same ward party I was asked by a motherly figure in my life:
Q: "How long do you have left?"
A: "A little more than two months"
Response (while looking at my burgeoning belly): "Whoa, you're BIG!"

Just what every pregnant woman wants to hear!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The nurse at the hospital last night made up for those comments, though. She was talking about a different kind of belly monitor that is more of a sleeve and much more comfortable. But then she said (while looking at my burgeoning belly), "I don't know if we'd be able to use that on you, though, because you're so tiny." I love Michelle, the L&D nurse. She's my favorite.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Last night I was getting the kid's ready for bed after all the who-ha and I told them that we got to see our little man on an ultrasound. Max said, "I know!" I asked how he knew...did Dad tell him? "No, I could tell by looking at you. I could just tell when I looked at you." Oh, of course. I must have been emanating that ultrasound glow. :)

12 comments:

natemann said...

its been very interesting this pregnancy. I have heard more this preganancy than my other three alot more omments on EVERYTHING!!! size, emotions, hormones, names. I worked with the public last time and strangers were kinder than the people I call friends and family who are making these comments to me. I feel for you and I think his name is perfect and size does it matter? They are jelous because you look great!

Bonny said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing better! Sometimes those mucus plugs come out and give us a bit of a scare. Ok, so I'm totally upset about people doggin' your baby names. Seriously people, that is just not cool!! Just so you know, I'm totally excited to hear the name you've chosen. I'm a name lover not a hater!! Heheeehee!! Why does everyone think they need to comment on a pregnant lady's belly all the time? Really?!! And if they think they must why can't they remember what their mothers taught them - "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all!!" And I love that little Maxwell of yours! Such a loving little guy!! :)
Anyway, I love you lady! And you are beautiful!! XOXOXOXOXO

Emily Youngdell said...

I'm glad to hear that nothing serious is going on with the babe! The 200.00 copay is not cool. Yikes! I hope that everything continues to go well and he stays in there until he's suppose to come out. I can't wait to hear the name you guys have chosen!
By the way, I totally would have loved to see you but I understand that you were probably booked the entire time! Hopefully I'll get to see ya sooner than later. :) ♥ ya tons.

Mommy said...

Sometimes the comments aren't so nice to hear, but sometimes they're funny. And then there are the people who want to just come up and touch the belly. GO AWAY!! I'M NOT BUDDHA! Unless you are related to me by blood or marriage, you do not have permission to come into my personal space. :) Glad things worked out with the hospital and it wasn't labor. Can't wait to see pics!

val said...

email me "his name" - i wanna know!!! :)
loved your q & a. i love knowing what's going on in your world.
don't you love the prego comments. sheesh. keep the mean remarks to yourself.
you look great dana!

Yo Mama said...

What is with those crazies and their comments. I hated those. The worst was, "Are you sure you aren't having twins." I was only 28 weeks. Yikes! Don't worry. You look way good, and I bet you are all baby.

Danalin said...

Just to clarify...I don't get offended. Some of the comments make me say 'ouch' but mostly I am entertained by them. They make for good blog posts. :)

The Nicks Family said...

Well maybe you should come up with some off the wall horrible name and then when he is born you can say his name is (insert the name you have picked) and they will be like 'Oh I'm so glad you didn't name him the horrible name! I love the one you chose :) I think the name is awesome and I think your belly is perfect! I got so MANY comments on size and yes I was measuring big, I knew I was, but really did the world have to say it?! I am so glad that everything is okay and that it wasn't anything serious!! Love ya!

Josh & Elise Woolstenhulme said...

I am so glad everything is going well. Spotting seriously just freaks you out. But on the other hand I love your baby name and your adorable belly!!

Shawna said...

I, too, love your belly. I think you look fantastic!
Max's last little comment was adorable.

Madsen Family said...

The nerve of some people. I would never say anything but how glowing and beautiful you are (and you are) and I will love any name that you choose for your handsome little boy (especially if you tell me:). And I am really glad everything is okay with you and the babe and I hope everything stays that way until you are ready for him to come out!

janet said...

I don't know why people don't come out and just say you look miserable and terrible and ugly :) We all know they're thinking it.

But I am sure you don't look any of those things- nor do you let it bother you because your self esteem is rock solid!