Monday, December 21, 2009

Precious Gift

Yesterday I sang in the ward choir at Church. Before the program began, I was worried about who my kids were going to sit with (since Tyler and I were both singing and would have to be on the stand the entire duration of sacrament meeting) and whether Kelly would be okay with it or scream for me. I felt a little uptight. It was time to get on the stand and I handed Kelly to one of my former Young Women who was home visiting from college (and with whom Kelly had no previous interaction). I prepared myself for the tears…but they never came! Not one bit of a fuss. Tender mercy.

I stood with the choir while we sang and listened to beautiful narration for about 40 minutes. My kids waved at me and smiled. My husband sang his solo beautifully. I was enveloped in love for - and from - my Savior. I know that Jesus of Bethlehem who was born so long ago was, indeed, the Christ. I am in awe of His mission. I am in awe of His mother, Mary, and the circumstances surrounding the birth of her son, whom she would selflessly give to all of us. I am grateful for a season dedicated to focusing on Him, His birth, and what that means for me. Because He was born and lived the way that He did, I know that I can return to live with our Father in Heaven again. My personal relationship with the Savior is the greatest gift and blessing I have ever received in this life. It is one that will never be out of style, stop fitting or working; it has no expiration date and gives much more than it requires in order to work. It is mine to keep and treasure always...indeed, the most precious gift!

2 comments:

Madsen Family said...

Nicely and aptly put. I echo your sentiment. I love this time of year and the gift that is the birth, life and death of our Savior. I love to add my own voice to the hosanas that were sung at the advent of his life. Merry Christmas!

val said...

great post. i sang with the ward choir too. wish it was the same one. i would have loved to have heard ty sing.