Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Five Years!

If you want our back-story, go here.
Just finished a temple session with Adri and Trent...not yet engaged.
Two days after we met in person for the first time, I drove to Provo to meet his family. That Sunday we drove up into the mountains to do some...errr...sightseeing. I love this picture of Ty.
We were engaged and this was our first argument...I was a slower snowboarder and he was a fast skier and went ahead without me. I was unreasonably angry with him and he knew it - not my finest moment. He still wanted to be my husband, though! This picture was pre-argument.

Yesterday Tyler and I celebrated 5 years of marriage! He gave me a small present with an accompanying poem for the four days leading up to THE date.
Out to dinner with my parents

Off and on throughout the day yesterday we watched the time and thought of what we were doing at that moment five years ago..."I was standing in the hall with the temple worker who didn't know where I was supposed to go" (Ty) "Yeah, while my temple worker was running all over trying to find you guys because it was almost time for the sealing" (Dana) "We were at the reception by now" (Dana) "...but tons of our family was late because of all of the flooding" (Ty). We sure didn't care about the flooding or the time or ANYTHING. As soon as I walked into the temple with Tyler the world melted away and nothing mattered aside from the fact that we were sealed for eternity. My mom was nervous to tell me after the sealing that it was pouring outside...but I couldn't have cared less. Someone had enough foresight to bring a huge black umbrella that made our pictures look classy. I knew that I had married the right man and that was all I cared about.
Last night we went to a nice dinner where we exchanged gifts. Ty made me this super cool mosaic - from far away it looks like a picture of the two of us, but up close it's roughly 400 tiny pictures (some repeated) of our 5 years together. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It's nicely framed and will look great on our wall where everyone can admire it. Awesome, eh?I matched him for thoughtfulness (at least I think I did) and made a book on Blurb of our top 5 experiences thus far with tons of pictures. Both are going to be awesome for our posterity to hold onto and so fun for us to have now.
One of the pictures from our engagement picture photo shoot...we both agree that this COULD have been one we sent out if it weren't for Ty's closed eye. Oh well! Now it's the cover picture for the Blurb book I made him.

Ty also wrote me a beautiful letter and something he said reflected my feelings exactly - that while it's amazing to think that it's already been 5 years, it's hard to believe it's only been 5 years because it's difficult to remember who I was without him.
Ty took me back to my mission - Hawai'i - after 6 months of marriage. The perfect birthday present!

We aren't perfect people, but together we make a perfect team and we push each other to be better. Marriage has really been bliss...and I'm not saying that because I want the blogging world to think that we don't have any problems. Sure we've disagreed, but I think that our disagreements are even part of that bliss; they have brought an added tenderness and appreciation for one another and what we have. My feelings go much deeper than loving this man. I think the theme of the night for both of us was that this is just the beginning...and I'm SO glad!
Recognize this picture?

6 comments:

janet said...

happy anniversary! your drizzly wedding was beautiful. the flooding was crazy! you two are perfect for each other.....

The Nicks Family said...

I agree with Janet :)
Happy Anniversary you two!! Sounds like you had a great time celebrating! Love ya!

Emily Youngdell said...

Aw, such a cute post! I loved it. I hope you guys had a wonderful anniversary together. You are perfect for each other. :)

campblondie said...

Congratulations! You are a great team and it makes ME so happy to know that YOU are sooooo happy! You deserve it.

Kirsten said...

You guys are just so darned cute!!! I remember your whirlwind romance...has it really been five years already?

Brandon and I felt the same way on our 5th anniversary...that it was just the very beginning of what was to come. Can you believe our 12th anniversary is coming up??? Holy cow! I'm sure glad that DOESN'T mean I'm getting old!!!

Love you guys! Good luck with the baby!!!!

Shawna said...

I loved reading that! Congratulations for five years, and I'm so happy for all of you.
You're wedding photo is very classy. I'd actually love to see more!!