Monday, January 14, 2013

Mr. 3rd Percentile

I wrote this in September. Forgot to post, I guess...

Max had his 6-year well-child checkup a few weeks ago.  That morning in my bathroom he stepped on the scale and we cheered because brother was FINALLY at 40 pounds!  We've been working toward 40 pounds for a while.  Alas, our joy was short-lived because the scale at the doctor's office told another tale...37 pounds.  3 pounds less than we'd thought.  The good news?  That meant I was also three pounds lighter than what the scale told me that morning.  Every cloud has a silver lining. :)

The doctor came in and did her thing and then went over the percentile chart with me.  Maxwell T is in the 3rd percentile for his weight.  Ahem.  Third.  And he wants to be a football player more than anything.  He's in the 25th percentile for height and his BMI is hanging out at ol' #1 (1%).  He is not the biggest eater in the world, but he's also no slouch.  I think the boy just MOVES and PLAYS so hard that the food doesn't stand a chance of sticking to his bones...or arms or legs or belly.

Max and Tucker shared a well-child visit (Tucker's 6-month) and as I sat there watching the doctor talk to him I thought of how fast the time has gone.  I remember every bit of what Max was like, and what our life was like, when Max was 6-months-old.  I am proud of the little man he is becoming.  I hope I am doing justice to what he deserves for a mom.

Max is doing awesome at school.  He really is taking off; it's cool to watch.  He still isn't sure he loves it, though. Have I mentioned on here that it's been a struggle?  I don't think so.  Well, it has been a struggle. Sunday night as I was putting the kids down he started to cry about going to school again and I left the room with some {silent} tears of my own.  He just wants to be home with his family and the days are too long {his assessment}.  I tried to just lighten the situation and I told him that we're not all that great, but through tears he said, "I think you are!"  Then he went on to talk about college and how hard it will be to be away from us for a long time {his college worries started years ago}.  I told him that I would move in and be his roommate.  In a high-pitched, hopeful, still tearful voice he responded, "You can do that?!"  Oh little man, you will NOT be wanting me for a college roomie in 12 years.  He's gone to school easily every day this week and he comes home happy at the end of the day.  I've fasted about our firstborn and Tyler and I have talked a lot about this whole deal...I know that we are doing what we should right now and are open for any changes that might need to happen in the future.  Taking it a step at a time here and giving him a lot of love.

Other Max facts:
  • Max is still an awesome older brother.  The other night in his prayer he prayed "And bless Tucker that when he gets bigger he will be a good young man."
  • He is still obsessed with football and is starting to talk about playing tackle next year {no way says the mom of the 3rd percentile boy...but we'll see}
  • His final molars have made their appearance
  • I found a certificate in his folder yesterday that he sang a solo in music; he hadn't mentioned it and I was pretty proud because getting up in front of crowds generally isn't his thing
  • He's received a Star Student award in his classroom, the Soaring Eagle award in his school for the month of September, he's earned every sticker, pencil, and treat that he can in his classroom
  • Last week at the end of a school day his teacher was handing out pencils and awards for various things and she said, "And I have to compliment one student on their journal writing.  I showed this person's journal to a third grade teacher and she said that it must be a third grade journal because this student did such a good job."  Max told me word-for-word what she said and then he said, "I was sitting there thinking, 'Please be me, please be me...' And then she started to say 'Maaaa' and I wondered if it could be Malakai or someone else whose name starts with M-A.  But then she said 'Max' and I jumped up and was like, 'Yeah!'  Well, not really.  I just stayed sitting and said, 'Yes!'" {with a little arm/fist motion to his chest} He got a little notebook as a reward and decided he'll write a chapter book in it.

No comments: