Monday, March 12, 2012

Babe Update

I saw the doc today.  I am really liking him.  I've had a different doctor for each of my babies (the doc who delivered Max stopped doing OB right when I got pregnant with Kelly; the doc for Kelly was not my favorite and so I switched; insurance changed one month before Ev was born and we were able to get a transition of care approval so he could still deliver the Ev man, but that meant a new doc for this babe).  It's when things get hairy that you learn more about your doctor, I think.  Anyway, he is very sympathetic and wants me to deliver as soon as possible.

There are some considerations, though:

  • Turns out, my hospital has a policy that unless there is harm to mother or baby, an induction before 39 weeks is considered elective.  Dr. Christen says that he doesn't agree with that in certain cases, mine being one of them, and that he would be willing to fight for me if I wanted him to.  I do appreciate that they are conservative about that and I also appreciate his willingness to go to bat on my behalf.
  • It is still a little early (I'm 37 weeks) for me to feel comfortable going now.  Generally, the baby would be okay...but what if he wasn't?  I would feel awful if his lungs weren't quite ready or if there was some other complication.  So I would not want to go any earlier than 38 weeks for the baby's sake.  And even then I am not thrilled about the thought of an induction.  However, the thought that this crazy itching while being large with child could go on for another 4 weeks (remember, Ev was 5 days late) is even worse than going through an induction in my mind.  It is physically and mentally draining, I tell you.  And Ty keeps reminding me that there is a small babe to take care of on the other end of this and I shouldn't deplete everything before we get there.  
  • I kind of feel like I am wimping out by getting an induction, but was thoroughly teased by husband and doctor at today's appointment for that.  Dr. Christen: "Wimping out?!" Ty: "What, they don't give medals after child birth to moms who put themselves through the most pain (something along those lines)?"  Dr. Christen: "You know, they don't. I understand considering the baby's health, but beyond that get that baby out of there!" Okay, okay.  
  • Calendar-wise, I wouldn't have wanted to go before Thursday the 22nd because Wednesday night is Max's last basketball game.  By then I would be 38 1/2 weeks and I don't feel like it would be too hard to go a few more days to make it to the 39-week mark.  
SO.  I am thinking we go until 39 weeks before an induction.  That means two weeks from today.  I can do it.  I am kind of getting used to it.  Not loving the blood on clothes and sheets, or the middle of the night scratching sessions, or not being able to wear anything but long-sleeves (this pregnant lady's wardrobe was already getting smaller, but that new provision makes it even worse), or the tears when it just gets too hard, but it's not the worst thing ever.  There are so many people who go through so much more.  I've thrown enough pity-parties and am a little partied out, so now I am trying to make the most of it and look on the bright side.

NOW.  My deepest desire is that this little man makes his appearance on his own prior to induction day.  I won't count on it, but I will work and pray for it (that YMCA membership is going to get a workout in the next few weeks).  Dr. Christen was checking the babe's position today and he seemed encouraged/surprised by how LOW the head is.  That might be good news!  Then he checked my cervix and before he checked I knew exactly what it would be because it's the same story with each babe - even a day before they are born, I am dilated to a 1 or 2 and everything is firm and long.  Then, water suddenly breaks and everything gets going quickly.  Same story today.

I have an appt. next Monday.  He'll check me again and then we will make a firm decision.  Feel free to add your prayers to mine that Babe Foster #4 comes on his own before 39 weeks.  Either way, I will be holding a wonderful little babe in my arms in two weeks or less!  I am so happy, grateful, humbled, and excited.  It is ALL worth it.

3 comments:

Heidi Jansson said...

Miss Dana,
I think you are being way too hard on yourself. Induction isn't fun...but the bottom line is that you know what is right for you.

We can't wait to meet this baby! Love you!

sinful_halo said...

Dana, I was induced at 37 weeks because my water broke but had no contractions. It was completely fine and easy! Don't forget how much recovery time you are going to need once he is born and the itching and scratching won't stop the second you deliver. Don't be a martyr...Christ did that for us already. I live you honey and support you no matter what. But there is a point where the mental and physical stress does more harm than the waiting does good. Love you mama :)

Madsen Family said...

Done--praying that babe #4 comes early, early, early, that is. I will also pray that you can make it 'til then. I have never been through any sort of physical pain like that, but you can trust me if I did, I would be the biggest wimp EVER. I think you are doing great. Just hang in there and milk it for all it's worth (that's what I do whilst sick). Wish I could come bring you dinner, watch your kids, rub lotion all over you (er, that last one may be taking it too far, but you get the point). Can't wait to meet your little guy via blog ANY DAY NOW!