Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Unexpected

This year I did NOT expect to win the Foster Family March Madness Tournament. Usually I put a little bit of thought into my bracket, but this year I filled it out in 5 minutes just because the games were about to start and I had to get it in. Guess who picked Duke to win it all?! You guessed it...me! (Although, I was totally cheering for Butler in the final game; I love a good underdog victory) My only goal in these family tournaments is to beat my father-in-law, but me winning it all takes the cake because that really gets his goat. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

General Conference kind of snuck up on me this year. Usually I am anticipating it for weeks, anxious for the messages and renewal of soul. This time, though, I hadn't put a lot of thought into it; I think it's because I'm in new-ish baby land. I still feel like I'm living in a bit of a bubble with my little family - lots of nursing and diaper changing and sitting inches away from Everett's face with kiddos on either side enjoying his smile and spit bubbles and cooing. Whatever the reason, I just wasn't prepared. However, I was overcome by the power of the messages this weekend; more than I have felt in a few years and I always love Conference. It was such a delightful surprise. I felt like the overriding theme was parenting...but maybe that's because it's what is on my mind these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Monday an acquaintance of mine - a friend of a friend whom I've met a few times and had at my home just last month for a baby shower -unexpectedly lost her husband. I just found out about it last night and I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. I have uttered many prayers in her behalf and shed many tears this morning. Her husband lost his first wife in a car accident 7 or 8 years ago; they had one son together. Then he married this sweet woman and they have three children, the youngest is 18 months. Oh, my heart breaks for her and those kids.

Last night when Tyler got home from school I told him about it and it prompted a conversation we should probably have had already after 5 years of marriage about some of the specifics -"call Tina from HR and she would probably help you with everything you need with life insurance and all of that" "I want you to remarry quickly; our kids will need a mom" "I want you to bury me in the temple dress hanging in the closet, not the one in my temple bag" "I need to ask Janet to make my blog into a book for you guys if I don't get to it". Kind of random things, and really it's just the beginning of what we need to talk about. It was late. My heart ached thinking of this friend and that she is dealing with this loss. It's her reality.

I really believe that we continue to live after this life on earth. Our time here is temporary and we never know when we will be taken Home. My hope is that I will be ready, that I will be living in line with what I believe, so that I can have peace and continue to progress There. I think that might be the "easier" part...what I really hope is that I would have the strength to withstand the loss of my husband or a child.

Say a prayer for Michelle, will you? There is power in prayer; I absolutely know that.

Life is full of the unexpected, big and small.

2 comments:

janet said...

congrats on winning the tourney contest! I wanted butler to win so bad... but Duke is okay too.

I loved conference too and want to watch it all over again. I love having it on DVR.

And consider your blog book made if you ever die. Such a sad story about your friend. It makes me grateful for what I have.

Robyn said...

It's so difficult to stand by and have to watch a friend deal with death in such a tragic way. I am in the middle of that with mine who suddenly lost her mother, who was only in her 50s. My friend is single and lives for the weekends she can drive home to St. George to spend time with her parents - they have a great time together. The heartache is deep and springs up in unexpected times, but her testimony keeps her rooted. Be there for her, just sometimes by being, not by talking or reassuring. I learned with my friend that just being around helps her. The experience has prompted many a conversation with my own parents about the undesirable topic. THEY are getting old!!!

Love your blog - keep it up. Love you.