Monday, March 01, 2010

Dana's Fitness History

(like anyone's really interested, but I feel like writing this anyway...)

I was fairly fit when I wed my husby 5 years ago...or at least thin-ish. He thought I was hot. :) We immediately moved to Upstate New York in the middle of winter. The huge winter coats combined with the comfort of newlywedism brought more than a few extra pounds. 7 months later marked the beginning of my pregnancy with our firstborn. 8 months later I was sitting on a couch with my husby, watching the Biggest Loser - two of the contestants (a husband and wife) went home before the finale and ran in a triathlon. "If they can do it, so can we," we said. I wanted to get in shape between babies. So the following summer, just after that firstborn turned one, we ran our first triathlon, side-by-side. Then just 8 weeks later, we finished another. But two weeks before that triathlon we found out that baby #2 was on her way (not a surprise...they've all been planned...we like 'em close).

Before babe #2 was born I knew that I needed another goal, so I signed up for another tri that I would run 4 months post-baby. I did that and decided that since I was a really slow swimmer and not so fast on a bike, I should just run. I could run. So I signed up for a half-marathon that I would run 4 months after the tri. That went well and the goal was for an eventual full marathon, but I was already halfway there with the training and decided to go for it. So 7 weeks after the half, I crazily ran in my first (only?) marathon. Then I took a break. I needed a break. Babe #3 was on his way shortly thereafter.

Babe #3, as sweet and worth it as he is, has padded my hips and thighs and belly and arms and face and fingers and toes. So a few months before his birth I made a few 'get back in shape between babies' decisions. The first is that I'll be running in the Rock 'n Roll Seattle half marathon in June. The second is that I'm putting together a team for a Ragnar Relay in July. I knew that with the post-baby exhaustion I would need a kick in the pants to get back in shape; I knew that I would want nothing more than to sit on my nicely padded bottom for months. So signing up for these non-refundable races scares me into shape. That's why I do it. Not because I'm hard-core, I'm scared.

I've been good about taking it easy-ish since the little man was born and think that 5 weeks is long enough. I'm going on my first run this weekend...because June will be here soon and I need some of this padding gone for those post-race pictures! Why-oh-why did I sign up for these races? Ugh. I'm nervous, people. And that's exactly why I shell out the nonrefundable $85 before I really think it through.

2 comments:

carly said...

way to go! i hear ya, i signed myself up for a half marathon that is in may, when i was 9 months prego with benj. everyone says, "you are so disciplined," and i think, "i am making myself lose this weight and get back in shape!;)" i wanted to do the seattle one this summer, but it is the same weekend as hoopfest in spokane! i can't wait to hear about your ragnar relay! i would love to do that. enjoy your first run this weekend!:)

Carrie said...

I've been meaning to leave you a comment for a while but haven't had a chance until now.
I'm so proud of you. I think it's awesome that you have goals of your own, that even though you have babies close together, you still try to achieve something great in between each pregnancy- not an easy thing! But more importantly, I'm proud that you have found balance and know when to back down to let your body recover, and know how to feel okay with the body you have and have respect for it's current purposes.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your training and upcoming events. And blast...why oh why can't we live closer??? I'd love a good long run with you!!!

You're my inspiration!