Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I am a student's wife


Tyler started today! He'll be in the MBA program at the University of Washington (UW-Tacoma) for the next two years, mostly at night. Right now he's doing a 4-day, all day course.

As I mentioned on an earlier post, I thought I'd avoided being married to a student. I swooped in and married the love of my life just as he was finishing his Masters in Mechanical Engineering at BYU. I felt a little jipped to have missed out on the struggling student years to be honest, but was advised by many friends to just count my blessings. Now, this isn't going to be quite the same since Tyler will still be working at his job where he's paid well. But previously his school experience did not include a full-time job, a wife, and 2 1/2 children. So this is all new for all of us. We'll figure out how to juggle it all, I'm sure. It will just take some adjustments and patience.

Last night I asked him if he was nervous about starting school. Ummm...

"Why would I be nervous?"

"Because I would be."

"What is there to be nervous about?"

Obviously this isn't his first rodeo.

I felt a little emotional about sending him off to school last night as I insisted upon and then packed a nice little lunch for him today. I wrote his name with a heart on the bag and then wrote cheesy messages on each baggie, envisioning him sitting at a table with other smart folks, opening his homemade lunch with his homemade notes. But he called during his lunch break and informed me that he had gone to check on the car, making sure he was parked in a spot with no time limit, instead of fulfilling my wishes. Bummer.

I am really proud of Tyler. I am proud to be married to someone who always wants to better himself and who is not content with mediocre. I know he will do well. I just hope that I will do well, being the supportive wife who misses the time she's used to spending with her best friend. I'm sure that I won't be sad on graduation day! Proud, but not sad. Here we go!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

That's great that he is going back to school, though.
And I think your cheesy notes are adorable and hilarious. :)