Thursday, September 24, 2009

Happy Day!

I have a friend. Janet is her name. I met her at Ricks College and loved her instantly. She's tall, beautiful, super witty and smart. I was at college with my best friend, Kelly, and Janet (and Val, Janet's roommate) quickly became our next-door besties. And so they would remain for our two years at Ricks. I'm talking BEST friends. You can't understand how funny these girls were and how much fun we had together. Our second year we really wanted to all be roommates, but Janet and I were both called to serve as RS Presidents in the same ward so we worked another next-door situation instead. I loved serving with Janet that year! I always thought that the girls in my RS must be jealous of all of the girls who got to be in Janet's RS...because I wanted to be in her RS. Janet is SO fun and full of ideas and life. She is one of those people with more talent than you think should be possible in one person. She can do ANYTHING and do it so well. Janet is a lifter; I don't know that it's possible to come away from a conversation with Janet and not feel like you are a great person and want to be better. Isn't that a great combination? Usually it's either/or. She has at least a hundred people who feel like they are one of her very best friends - because they are, or at least she is for them - and hundreds more who would consider her a very close friend. Janet is so real and beautiful and learns from each trial that she is handed.
After Ricks we kept in close contact. I was outside of the temple and at her reception (not sealing since I received my endowments the following day) to her most perfect match. She wrote to me on my mission. I climbed in bed once between her and her husband (why did I feel comfortable enough to do that?! Because Janet makes you feel that comfortable...thanks for being a good sport, Aaron). Janet was a great listening ear while she was married, had kids, was going to BYU...she listened to all of my dating drama (trauma?). She was particularly supportive when I called freaking out that I had quit my job, was moving away from my family and everything I knew to go to Provo to be close to the man I now call husband, but whom I had not even determined really wanted to marry me. I don't think she knows what a difference that phone call made for me. I don't remember exactly what she said, but I do remember how calm and at peace I felt after I talked to her. Janet made sacrifices to be there for my wedding; it was not a convenient time (who gets married three days after Christmas on a Tuesday?!) or time in their life, but she convinced her husband to spend his birthday coming to the temple to see me sealed and hanging at my reception that night. She has put me at ease before each of my children were born. She has been a cheerleader and one of my most important friends for 10 years. She now lives in Vegas and loves it so hopefully that's where she'll stay so that I can see her as often as I see my family. Recently the four of us besties got together again and had the BEST time (the above pictures were stolen from Janet's blog). I am extremely grateful to have Janet in my life. Today she turns 30. I hope you have the happiest birthday, Janet Lee. I love and appreciate you more than I can say!

7 comments:

janet said...

you are too kind, Dana. This made me cry! Thanks for the dedication, the birthday phone call and especially your friendship. Love you!!

Shawna said...

She sounds like an amazing person. I'm glad you have such a great friend!

Beth said...

Wow. . . . . . so nice-and so great that you appreciate her so much.

janet said...

ps. I don't remember when you slept in the bed with Aaron and I. Was it for a whole night? In Provo? I can totally see it, though. I believe Debbie slept a whole night with us in bed once, too.

Good thing we have a king :)

Danalin said...

No, it wasn't all night. I think that Adri and I were coming to stay at your apt. in Provo one night and we got in late and I came in your room and climbed in for a chat before Adri and I went to bed. Adri was super freaked out by it, but I hadn't even given it a second thought.

karlin said...

such a nice post! i honestly felt like i could have been the one writing it. janet has been there for me in all those ways too... easing me through my moms passing and the birth of all my children. i've spent some late nights in their bed too! we are lucky to have such a great friendship in common.

campblondie said...

Who hasn't slept between Aaron and Janet?
She is amazing and will always someone I am totally in awe at.