Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lessons from a mother bird

Tonight we played on the front lawn as a family. Ty was being his usual great dad self with the kids, playing hard and making them laugh. I was enjoying the show and my heart was filled to the brim with love. Kelly would occasionally come and give me a kiss and then go off to play again...Max would sit on my lap and then get up to jump on Dad again. Everyone was happy and showing the best side of their personalities. It was one of those really great nights.

I didn't take this picture, it's off of the internet...I can't get close enough for a photo op

I was also enjoying another show. A mother bird and her babes have taken up residence in the eaves of our home. I think it's wonderful. It must have been dinner time. I guess I thought before that the mother bird would go out and get a worm or two, bring it back to her babes, they would eat and enjoy some time together. Not so. This mama was bookin' it! She would swiftly fly up to the nest and within 1-2 seconds she would drop off the goods and fly off again, only to come back seconds later with some more for the hungry babes. The chatter would get much louder among these baby birds when Mom came back to the nest with food. This went on for a really long time. Like, 45 minutes or more...and that's just what I was there to see, she was still going when we left on our walk. Back and forth, back and forth. I could relate to the need she felt to quickly get her job done and the urgency to meet her babes' needs. I thought, though, of how nice it might be for her to slow down a little, enjoy some leisurely flight time. But, alas, there were tummies to fill. I thought of how it is nice to be needed and to be THE mom - the only one with just the right hug, kiss, thing to say for a few little people.Then I thought about how it may be crazy and rushed and busy for this short time - she may be a little worn out at the end of the day - but way sooner than later those birds are going to leave the nest and she'll long to be rushing about, filling the bellies and meeting the needs of her beautiful babes. I thought of how much I need to treasure this time. (I do, after all, work with the youth *teenagers* at church. :) )

I thought mostly as I sat there watching both of these amazing shows that I am super blessed. I feel extremely grateful for a husband who is my absolute perfect match and 100% partner in parenthood. I love my two little people with a love that fills my whole chest and gets stuck in my throat because there aren't adequate words to express it. I love nature and a Heavenly Father who created so much beauty for us. I love that this mama bird deemed our home worthy to make a home for her family, where she coul bring her babes into the world and nurture them until they're ready to leave the nest. I hope for her sake that doesn't happen too soon.

4 comments:

Royce and Deanne Wooly said...

Well said Dana, I can't believe how fast the time flies by and then all of the would've could've should'ves are out the window and all that you are left with is the hope that somehow you did your best! I love ya kiddo, give those kids a big hug for me!

Anonymous said...

In response to “ MBA” by Danalin: Friday, June 12 2009

You can't say that this isn't a great achievement because it is. But being humble about your achievements is even greater in the sight of the LORD.


Jeremiah 49: 16

Thy terribleness hath deceived thee, and the apride of thine heart, O thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, that holdest the height of the hill: though thou shouldest make thy nest as high as the eagle, I will bring thee down from thence, saith the LORD.

Having said that, good luck with all that comes your way!

Danalin said...

Sorry to disappoint, Mister or Miss Anonymous, but I don't take back a single word and don't feel one bit bad for anything I said. My husband amazes me!

Unknown said...

I am happy I am not a momma bird! I am glad I get to slow down and really enjoy my cute kids and really see them and be with them! The time does go by way too quickly!

To Anonymous: Don't bother leaving comments judging my sister and what she chooses to put on her blog. She has every right to be proud of her husbands accomplishments and let everyone know about them, if you don't like it don't read it!

I love you D! Give your CUTE, AMAZING, WONDERFUL family a big hug for me!!