Friday, March 20, 2009

Time Out!

So last Friday I was kidless, hanging out in Seattle with my mom and sister, Adrianne.  They flew in Thursday night and we headed to a hotel in downtown Seattle.  We chatted it up until 1:30 a.m. when we just couldn't hold on any longer.  We're so old.  Funny Story #1: It's noteworthy to mention that Adri peed her pants from laughter when my mom was telling a hilarious story about our dad riding in one of those people-powered carriages (ask if you want to know the whole story...but you'd have to know my dad to really get a kick out of it!).  In Adri's defense, she is 6 months pregnant. 

Funny story #2: When we were checking in to the hotel the lady asked if we wanted a wake-up call in the morning and we practically shouted in unison, "No!"  I told her that we were away from kids and responsibilities, thus our emphatic response.  

Friday morning we slept in, had a super late breakfast at CJ's (totally recommend if you're ever in Seattle). Then we walked for the next 5 hours.  For real.  It was wonderful.  We walked to the Space Needle, then headed over to Pike's Market where we scoured many little shops, ate yummy treats, watched some amazing street performers, and almost got my mom to riverdance in front of a piano being played on the street corner.  Then it was down to the waterfront for Ivar's clam chowder eaten on the pier.  So nice.  Next we scoured several more shops along the waterfront on our way back to the hotel.  Adri almost went into labor from all of the walking. :) Perfect weather for the day...we even ditched our jackets halfway through.  I prayed for that. Heavenly Father loves me, this I know.

Funny story #3: We were taking a picture of ourselves on the water to get us all in.  There wasn't anyone around to take it for us. I kept accidentally cutting my mom out of it so we kept taking more pictures.  It turned into a joke that I made them take more and more pictures, so I just kept going and we were laughing really hard.  Total had-to-be-there moment.  But the pictures are funny because of the utter agony on my mom's face toward the end. "Why are we still doing this?!"  It only made me want to take more pictures and made Adri & I laugh harder.

We rested a bit and freshened up at the hotel, then called for a taxi to take our weary legs to Benaroya Music Hall for the first session of Time Out For Women. I was crying within the first 5 minutes.  I SO needed that boost from the Spirit!  I'd been feeling a little mom-weary, spirit-lacking-weary, caretaker-of-home weary.  Nope, not wife-weary because my husband rocks.  
Funny story #4: We went to the restaurant in the hotel for a late dinner where the prices were WAY more than what we thought and the menu looked WAY different from what we'd seen in our room.  Nothing looked good enough to drop that kind of dough on.  So Adri & I giggled as we ducked out of the ridiculously expensive restaurant and left my mom to tell the waiter that we were leaving.  Then we ordered a pizza and watched Marley & Me.  Much better.

Saturday was all about Time Out For Women (which was good since the weather turned sour - rainy and cold). It was iNcReDiBlE!  If you have a chance to attend in your city, I absolutely recommend that you look into going.  It's a very fun environment and just the uplift that every woman needs.  Three dear friends from my ward came to TOFW as well so it was fun to have them hang with my mom and sister. 
 *Me, Tristalene, Marcela & Sylvia*

Then we caught the ferry back to Bainbridge Island where Tyler and kids picked us up.  What a man I have!  He had a lot of fun with the kids while I was away and had dinner waiting for us at home.  The house was also nice and clean, with a lovely candle burning.  I have to say that one of my favorite parts of the weekend was having my mom and Adri come to my house and hang out with my kids.  Isn't it nice to have people who love your kids almost as much as you do around to dote on them and remind you what cute little people you have?!   

Sunday we woke up to SNOW falling like crazy!  We got about 3 inches, church was cancelled, and Adri was afraid she wouldn't be able to go home that night and see her kids that she was so missing.  But the snow was all gone and roads clear by early afternoon.  My momma worked with me on my sewing machine and taught me some good tricks.  I'd been waiting for that for three months.  Thanks, lady!  We had a nice drive to the airport...lots more talking.  *Sigh* It was just what I needed.  Many more of these to come, I hope, and hopefully next time Beth will be able to join us.  We really missed you, Beha!  We kept saying, "I wish Bethany was here." 

Thanks for the greatest weekend, ladies!  Loved it.  Love you.

8 comments:

Royce and Deanne Wooly said...

i love the look of motherly pain on your moms face as the group pictures progressed! LOL

val said...

SOOO FUN! That's all I can say.

The Nicks Family said...

Love all the pictures and the stories :) So fun!!

Emily Youngdell said...

I just love you guys. You are all so cute and I want to see you again!!!!!!!! Someday, right?

Anonymous said...

oh, how fun! i think i need a girls' weekend after reading that! you guys all look so cute! :)

Beth said...

Wow---what a fun, fun weekend! How great to be able to spend that time with your mom and sis, see the city, have all your hilarious moments, AND be able to sit and feel uplifted! I was in YW FOREVER and finally was put in relief society. I felt like it was SO what I needed, because I didn't have the time or energy left at the end of the day to fill my bucket like I needed. Once in Relief Society, I could just sit, even for just one hour, and get that need filled. Pathetic, but got me thru!

How great that you have such a wonderful family--your big family, and your small fam with Ty. Pics of your mom are hilarious!

Paula said...

Okay,I hope you don't think I am one of those crazy people that stalk blogs, but I have to tell you a funny story. I am LDS but my husband is not. We moved up to Wa a year ago for his job and from day one he's teased me because he swears every mormon that works at the hospital, he interacts with on a daily basis. (I keep telling him it's a sign. :-)) So a couple of months ago, we decided that we wanted to do a triathlon and we found a cool one at Lake Chelan that is a mini tri. Josh was googling pictures of the lake to get a feel for the area and it pulled up your blog entry "The Pregnant Triathlete", so we read a little and Josh pointed to your bio where it said you served your mission in Hawaii. I told him that he must be drawn to all LDS people because he can find them without even trying! :-)
Anyway, it's pretty silly, and I hope you don't mind if I bookmark your blog to read. (You're more than welcome to visit mine if you'd like iniguezfamily.blogspot.com) So yeah, that's my funny little story! And then final end to this LONG comment. :-)
PS...I was at Time Out For Women also...it was TRULY amazing...seeing you with your mom and sister made me miss mine SO much!
PSS...I'm Paula, nice to meet you! :-)

janet said...

what a wonderful weekend.. I am sure it was so rejuvenating! I love TIME OUT, but it's even better to share it with sisters. I have yet to go with my mom. Love that they were able to come and see you. Seattle is the bomb.. and so is riding the ferry back to your place!

and I can't believe you got snow!