Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What was I thinking?!

This coming Saturday I'll be doing my third triathlon. My first was a year ago, early June, and the second was in July when I was 8 weeks pregnant, nauseated, and going on about three hours of sleep. However, I felt much better about my chances of not collapsing on the course that time than I do about this one coming up. I am NOT in shape for this (having a baby can do that to a body). I will be getting on my bike on Wednesday for the first time since my last triathlon. I swam laps once, just two weeks ago, and will go one more time this week. I've run a little, but not enough to feel very prepared. And to make matters worse, I signed up to swim 1/2 mile. What?! I am NOT a strong swimmer. These are lake swims in cold, pacific northwestern lakes and the longest swim I've done is 1/4 mile. What was I thinking?! Well, what I was thinking is that I wanted to push myself a little and since the other events are relatively short, then swimming is where I could push. I like proving to myself that I can do hard things. Now, I know that I won't die. I know that I can push through the pain. I know that I can totally do this, but I wish that I felt more prepared. Life has been SO busy the past few months and it's left me with very little time or energy to get ready for this tri. I guess I'll just have to look at it as training for the triathlon that I'll be doing in August... I don't feel super worried, but I also don't feel at all prepared. Ugh! Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Jamie Claire said...

You can do it! I am amazed at your ability to juggle two little ones so well--this triathlon will be cake. deep breathes and lenghen your strides in the run :) good luck

Ab-Normal said...

GOOD LUCK! you can do it- your dana! thank you for your comment. you are so sweet. i honestly dont remember you moving. i just remember you visiting and I LOVED it. you are amazing and your family is adorable! talk to ya later. ♥abbey

Kristen said...

Please!!! You rocked those hills in Breckenridge. You're going to do great. Something that I've learned is that the body is truly amazing. There is always another level. Mind over matter baby!!

campblondie said...

Good luck! You can totally hack it. If I were to offer any advice it would be to eat as much as possible RIGHT before. Does that not work?

val said...

You can do it. You can do it. Best of luck my amazing friend.

Emily Youngdell said...

Good luck!! I am sure that you will do great. And like you said, maybe this is just a little practice run for the next one? Just try to have fun and don't be too hard on yourself. Ü

Kirsten said...

you go girl! you will be awesome - you don't know how to be anything else. it simply isnt in your genetic makeup!