Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Braggin' about my Babe!

This is one of my favorite things to do- talk about how great my husband is! I've been feeling the need to do this post because I have especially noticed these few things lately and feel really lucky. I am so very, very grateful that Heavenly Father lead me so specifically to Tyler!

First off, the guy has many, many talents BUT he is not a show-off. In fact just the opposite. He doesn't necessarily hide them under a bushel, but it takes some coaxing to get him to be the star of the show. Sometimes this quality drives me crazy because I feel like he's self-deprecating and I want him to acknowledge how great he is. He just doesn't need the adulation or approval of others to feel good about himself. We had a musical talent show at Church and I figured that he, of course, would want to participate. He sings, plays the guitar and harmonica...so I signed him up. Well, I shouldn't have assumed. I am grateful - and so was the rest of the ward - that he still agreed to go through with it. Hardly anyone knew of his talents and many people said afterward that they were blown away. Listen to his song (I don't know if you want to watch it all - pretty bad camera work on my part, but just take a listen) and I think you too will be impressed with this man of mine. Mind you, it's in the gym at church so the sound quality isn't the greatest.


We get our own little concerts all the time - Max is serenaded often while he's taking a bath. We all love when Dad breaks out the guitar or harmonica. Ty is totally self-taught. He just decided that he wanted to learn the harmonica one day and he plays it all by ear. Same with the guitar. And while he has had piano lessons, he can hear a song and figure out how to play it by sitting down and plunking it out.

Secondly, Tyler is super resourceful. If something needs to be done or fixed then Ty can do it. Recently he replaced the muffler on his car after reading about how to do it on the internet. He built us a new, really nice retaining wall (pictured partially finished here), he painted the exterior of our house last year, he solved the problem with our washer after taking it apart (and it ended up being this tiny piece that I am still amazed he found and identified as the problem), he tiled the master bathroom and laid our bamboo flooring. He took apart our wall and found a pipe that had busted (which we found because water was spraying down the exterior of our house), removed the broken piece and welded the new piece on - that's right, welded. Ty has saved us thousands of dollars by doing these things (and MANY others) himself. And he doesn't just do it to get it done. He researches a lot and makes sure that he does everything WELL.

Third, Ty is an awesome DAD!Not just a good dad who loves his kids, but a really exceptional dad. He is so, so involved and I love that. Just because he's at work all day doesn't mean he's not a part of what's going on here at home. He loves to teach Max new things and see his mind work. He loves to make Kelly smile and laugh. It's nice to have someone who hasn't been with the kids all day come home and be so in love with them because it reminds me to take a step back so that I can feel the same. He takes his role seriously and is great at implementing the Gospel into his parenting. He deserved to feel GOOD on Father's Day because he does everything to be a really amazing father!

Fourth, Tyler is so, so supportive of me. I know I've said it before, but I love how he pushes me to be better by just believing that I'm already great. He's constantly telling me that I have talents I'm not so sure about. And he's not just saying it to score points; I know that he really means it. He makes me laugh when I want to cry, but he also lets me cry when I need to. I love his eyes and his nice, full lips :). I really love going through life with him. I definitely wasn't getting married just for the wedding. THIS is what I wanted - to have a great friend to experience life-it's joys and trials-with. To be married and have a great companion; someone with whom I am "equally yoked". I am SO blessed! So are Max and Kelly and all future kids of this incredible man.

Now for the picture of the week. It makes my heart happy!

5 comments:

Ab-Normal said...

Thank you so much for your advice. In all honesty I've been thinking about a mission. Lately I've been thinking that maybe the Lord needs me some where other then here. But we'll have to see. Hopefully I'll find someone just as amazing as your husband. It sounds like you guys are having the time of you lives! Thank you again. ♥ ya!

Madsen Family said...

Dana, I can't believe that Ty is so musically talented. AND self taught! What a lucky lady you are. I love it when Dada sings to the kiddos. Josh sings too and it just melts your heart. Aren't we blessed to have singing/engineer hubbies who can fix ANYTHING?

Madsen Family said...

Dana, I can't believe that Ty is so musically talented. AND self taught! What a lucky lady you are. I love it when Dada sings to the kiddos. Josh sings too and it just melts your heart. Aren't we blessed to have singing/engineer hubbies who can fix ANYTHING?

Emily Youngdell said...

I love the song that Ty sang. You are indeed one lucky lady. Ü
I too asked Abbey how to do the heart and all you have to do is hold down the alt key and the number three and there you have it, a cute little heart. ♥ Love ya. (p.s. I too wish that we could hang out and do stuff together..)

Carrie said...

GREAT POST!

What a sweet hubby you have. Dana, I'm so bummbed we don't live closer- our big guys could do projects together (John is always looking for a project partner), our little guys could play together, Little Kelly could get loved on by my Tyler, and you and I would have a blast hanging out, chatting, playing, and even running and biking.
So what do you say? How do you feel about Texas and trading in your lovely mild weather for some HEAT?!?

I'm loving your posts- you have an adorable family and I love how much you cherish them!