Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"This is CAMPING!!!"

That was my favorite memory of our camping trip last weekend...Max was so excited about everything when we were talking about it beforehand. It was a 3-hour car ride out to the coast and so some of the excitement had waned by the time we got there and he just wanted to get out of the car. We finally arrived and while Tyler and I were setting things up Max was running around like a mad man. He kept squealing and telling us what he saw. It was very cute. Then he runs over to me, throws both hands up in the air and says (in a most excited, emphatic voice), "Mom, THIS IS CAMPING!" Throughout the weekend he would come up to me and say (in a very sweet voice with a bit of a laugh to it), "Mom, love fire" and "Mom, love tent" and "Mom, love ocean". As you've gathered, camping was a hit for the little dude.We went to the COOLEST place! Kalaloch Campground. It was so, so beautiful (that's right, folks, all of the above pictures were from our trip, taken on our little digital camera). The campground was right off of the beach. Our site didn't overlook the ocean, but was just across the road from the ones that did. We heard the ocean all night. Man, Heavenly Father has created such a beautiful world! It was incredible. The trees and greenery were all spectacular. We wished it had been about 5-10 degrees warmer, but we still had great weather. The kids did well sleeping in a tent, Ty is well on his way to becoming a pro at the dutch oven (he made the best cornbread I've ever eaten!) and we are definitely going to be a camping family. I think some of our fellow campers thought we were a little nuts for bringing such tiny people (we got several "You're so brave!" comments)...but I think this is the EASIEST time to take our kids camping! Next summer may be a little crazier since Kelly will just be walking. Anyway, here are a "few" :) pictures of our super successful camping trip:


I got a kick out of this sign...look closely and you can see the bikini-clad lady and her family fleeing the ferocious beach logs in fear of their lives. As you can see, we weren't nearly as afraid as that poor family. :)

We went for a "hike" along the beach on Friday. This older gentleman and his dog approached us to let us know that there was a seal on the beach! He thought that we might want to show our little guy. It was just hangin' there, pretty far from the water. So cool to get that close!




The highlight for Max was digging in the sand with his shovel and pail from the dollar store. Gotta love these low-maintenance kids!




Dad & Son


Mom & Daughter




Warming up in the car...mom's decision. I don't want to feel super cold if I don't have to!









Sunset....









I called this the "animal tree". Doesn't it look like some great creature from a Dr. Seuss book?





Tyler serenaded us around the fire and lulled Max right to sleep...




Kiddos around the campfire









Ty has some mad pancake-flipping skills I never knew about until this trip!




HUGE, gnarly cedar tree








On the way home we stopped at the HOH Rainforest. It was so, so incredible! It looks like a place that has been preserved from the beginning of time. We took a short hike through it and want to go back and do some more exploring there.



"I'm glad that I live in this BEAUTIFUL world Heavenly Father created for me!"

10 comments:

The Nicks Family said...

YAY finally some pictures from your great trip! I love all of them and your kids are adorable and you have one cute family! I can't wait to see you, only like 27 more days woohoo!!! Love ya girl!!!

campblondie said...

Camping is the BEST! We are a camping family too, if only we had such beautiful places to go!

Emily Youngdell said...

Ok, I totally want to go camping now. Those pictures are GORGEOUS. Man, those tree's are amazing.
Sounds like life has been fun and busy for you guys. Hope you have fun on your trip next week! Love ya. Ü

Sara said...

That place looks amazingly beautiful! I would love to come up there and see you and your fam. I will need to have a chat with Mike!

val said...

I'm speechless at your photos. THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL. You guys are the coolest family. What a fun memory for all of you. Thanks for sharing.

The Nicks Family said...

Dana, thanks for your posts! You are such a sweetheart and I love you! I appreciate you being there for me, and I am so grateful to have such great sisters! I can't wait to see you, if you can't tell by my ticker :) Love ya girl!!

Kirsten said...

So, when can we come and visit and go on a camping trip together? Your pictures could be in a calendar! How beautiful! Max is so dang cute! Thanks for the fun pictures. Miss you!

Amanda said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures! Jeremy (and me too) is determined to have our family be a camping family. How fun that everyone did so well. Man you have a beautiful place to go!

Jamie Claire said...

What a beautiful place to camp! I love all the pictures and your sweet family living it up in the wilderness is awesome. thank you foe the sweet comment on brett birthday blog--you are a true friend and I love ya!

Bonny said...

WOW! Looks like you guys had a really fun time. And what a beautiful place - I love it! I think I would even go camping if it was as cool as that. :)