Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I couldn't avoid it forever...

I have managed to avoid being "tagged" thus far. However, since so many of my friends have done this on their blogs and since one friend has given me the tagging " honor" I feel obligated. :) So here is some rather uninteresting information about me! As usual, I give too much detail.

4 jobs I've had:

1. When I was 14 my friend Cathy got me this job to dress up as Wendy of Wendy's Hamburgers and go around Las Vegas for some promotional things. Wig, drawn-on freckles, the outfit. I think I did it three or four times. One time I even had to dance with a guy in a huge bowling pin costume. Every little kid thought I was Pippy Longstocking. I got paid $10 an hour, though, and had tons of free frosty coupons!
2. I worked at a little mom & pop Church bookstore with all of my friend's moms while I was in high school. I LOVED that job and I love my friend's moms.
3. I had a short stint working for a Pakistani Allstate Insurance agent named Shamim who didn't like women and whom I could barely understand. He didn't want to train me, but he wanted me to know exactly what to do and when to do it. I felt like I was going to vomit every morning when I had to go to work. I worked with a lady who wanted to get full-body plastic surgery so that she could 'dance' on the strip and she tried to get me to call her ex-boyfriend and pretend it was her even though she was married with two kids. It lasted all of two or three weeks before I'd had enough.
4. In New York I was working as a receptionist at an orthodontist's office and convinced him to train me to work in mouths. He thought I was the best employee ever :) so he agreed and I became a full-fledged orthodontic technician - taking braces off, putting them on, adjusting them, taking x-rays. Shouldn't you have to go to school for something like that?!

Places I've lived:

1. Kearns, Utah
2. Las Vegas, NV
3. Rexburg, ID
4. Hawai'i (Big Island and Oahu)
5. Niskayuna, NY
6. Silverdale, WA

Movies I love:

*I am not very critical of movies, I just enjoy a good break for my brain and to feel better for having watched it*

1. Fried Green Tomatoes
2. Pride and Prejudice (A&E version)
3. Contact
4. Cast Away
5. Life is Beautiful (not the dubbed version)
6. Rudy
7. Remember the Titans
That's all I can think of right now...

Favorite Foods:

*This is dangerous for a pregnant lady...now I'm going to crave it all!*
1. Anything Mexican
2. I love the chicken alfredo pizza at Olive Garden
3. Tyler's garlic, super creamy mashed potatoes
4. A good, ripe tomato from our garden...good veggies from any garden!

4 weird things about me:

1. I can flip my eyelids inside-out. Max loves it and often tries to do it for me.
2. When I sit in one position for a long time, my hip gets all jacked and I walk like a 90-year-old woman for a few minutes before everything goes back where it's supposed to be.
3. When I get tired I cannot look at sharp corners - it hurts my eyes. Tyler read me part of an article in TIME magazine that said that is a symptom of OCD. We laughed because I am a little on the OCD side with some things.
4. I couldn't say my R's when I was little and so I was in speech therapy for a bit. Now I overenunciate and it's especially noticeable on some words. My little brother always had me say "green grass". I love good enunciation in all forms, it makes me happy!

Favorite Shows:

1. LOST
2. The Office
3. TLC & Discovery Channel shows - Baby Story, Trading Spaces, Cash Cab, Dirty Jobs
4. 24 - except last season stunk

Places I'd rather be:

1. Visiting family
2. On a date/at the temple with Ty
3. At the park with Max and Ty
4. Hanging out with some of my best girlfriends

People I'm tagging:

1. Kristen
2. Angie
3. Liz
4. Bethany

13 comments:

Kristen said...

Do you think you could do the Wendy's thing again when I am around, I would really appreciate it:)
Alright, I see that I got tagged. I will do it soon.

Matthew said...

Loved the bit about your old jobs. The insurance company thing with the sexist boss sounds awful. No wonder you quit.

My first job was in 1990, washing dishes at a local Mexican restauraunt chain called the Armadillo. Don't know if it sucked as bad as your insurance gig, but I'm sure you don't still have terrible memories of scrubbing 8 hours worth of caked-on refried beans from the warming trays at 11:30 at night for $4.00/hour. That was bad, but then, it's not a contest :-)

I do have to agree with you about the Mexican food though -- Wendi and I love it too. In Denver it's practically a requirement of citizenship that you like it. I crave a good burrito, tacos and tamales several times per week.

Can't say the same about the TV shows, though, 'cuz we don't watch any TV at all. Something about commercials makes my skin crawl. But I have seen Dirty Jobs a few times, and yeah that's a great show -- the kind of "reality TV" that is actually based on how real people live real lives with real jobs, and not on some contrived situation like Survivor or Kid Nation or whatever. Hate that stuff.

The Office is great too. There has never been a more savage evisceration of the idiocies and humiliations of working life. I was disturbed to read a USA Today article whose thesis was that the boss character Michael has become somewhat of a bizarre inspiration for management types, because some have apparently deduced that Michael is liked despite his foibles.

Stone the crows! Umm... Michael is NOT liked despite his foibles, he is HATED BECAUSE of them, deservedly so. How ironic and disturbing that someone could watch The Office and conclude the opposite. :-0

Great post. Simon says hello.

Goose said...

Great post Dana. I would also love to see the Wendy's thing again. Maybe record it and post it on your blog. I'll be waiting. Matt, I actually find The Office really funny but I have never heard of someone actually saying they would like to have a boss like Michael. The only words that I can use to describe Michael are "Scum bucket" and "loser". With that said he is also the funniest part of the show. Maybe because I have never worked in an office like that before.

Anonymous said...

hey! this is carly (miracle) pickering! your family is so cute! i can't believe you are due with another one any day!:)

Emily Youngdell said...

Dana I vividly remember you showing me a picture of you in your Wendy's get-up! That story is hilarious. It's fun to read these questionnaires because you find out things that you would never guess about your friend.

Camille said...

I love your site, Dana and I miss hanging out with you. It's so good to see what you are up to. This is Camille (Graves) by the way. I just set up my blog so keep in touch. I miss you!

Danalin said...

Hey Carly! If you visit my blog again, let me know how to get in touch with you...I clicked on your name but it wouldn't let me view your blog. I would love to keep in touch and know how you are doing! So fun that you found me. Or you can just e-mail me at danalin522@hotmail.com if you don't want your info. to be public.

Ann said...

I loved reading this post! I learned a lot of fun stuff about you. I loved your movie choices, too!

Kenn N said...

I was born in Kearns, UT. On Bree Street. Nice blog, I enjoyed it.

Kenn and Amy North's Homepage

Elizabeth said...

You are SO funny! I loved that! Looking back at old jobs is fun. You never know at the time how crazy they seem down the road. I'll have fun reminiscing about mine. Thanks for tagging me.

Kenn N said...

In fact, the first 3 places you lived, match mine exactly, which is just.... wierd.

Say hi to family for me. I miss the old Lorenzi Ward crowd. We should have a reunion. Seriously, we should all go to Alamo down here in Texas.

Angie said...

Hey Dana! Loved the post, as usual! Thanks for tagging me, too...it's just what I needed to get me out of my blogging funk.

Veeda said...

Eww! Your eyelid fact is crazy. I love that Max wants to do it too.