Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Do I have to vote?

I'm here to provide a safe environment for the babe to grow and develop. My emotions and eating habits are all over the map - I need a good cry much more often than the non-pregnant version of myself and any little thing can bring tears to my eyes; I really need something sweet, just a little something - wait, salty - wait, vegetables - wait, yet another pickle - no, what I really want is a doughnut, a HOT Krispy Kreme doughnut. :) My belly is expanding so that if something drops from my mouth or fork it doesn't fall to my less-conspicuous lap, but to my belly. I realized I was to that point when I looked down after Young Women in Excellence last night to see two spots on my shirt at the top of my belly. Hopefully I acquired them after I stood up in front of all of the YW and their parents. Yep, I'm just here to provide that safe environment and let my entire world be changed. I'm just the mom. So why should I have a feeling one way or another what the gender is of this little person I am housing? Why should I be so privileged? :)

I even took this highly scientific test :) and these were my results:

Congratulations!

You have a 50% chance of having a boy. And you have a 50% chance of having a girl.

And Here's Why...

You are carrying the extra weight out front, so it's a boy.
The hair on your legs is not growing any faster during your preganacy, so it's a girl.
Girls are carried high. You are going to have a girl.
Sleeping in a bed with your pillow to the north indicates that you will be having a boy.
Your feet are not colder than they were before pregnancy. You are having a girl.
You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread. You are having a girl.
Dad-to-be hasn't been gaining weight along with Mom-to-be, so it will be a girl.
The maternal grandmother doesn't have gray hair (dyed or natural), so a girl will be born.
You had morning sickness early in pregnancy, so you are expecting a girl.
You are looking particularly good during pregnancy. Therefore, it must be a boy, because girls steal their mother's looks.
Your chest development has not been very dramatic during pregnancy. You should expect a boy.
Since the sum of the mother's age at conception and the number of the month of conception is an odd number, it will be a girl.
Your urine is a dull yellow color, so you will have a girl.
You have a craving for salty or sour foods, which means that it is a boy.
Your nose hasn't changed during pregnancy, which indicates a girl.
You have been craving meats or cheeses, so it is a boy.
Your baby's heart rate is below 140 beats per minute, so it's a boy.
You have no desire for orange juice, so it's a boy.
You are having headaches, so it's a boy.
Your belly looks like a basketball, so it's a boy.
You show them the palm of your hand, so it's a girl.
You use the handle of a mug, so it's a boy.

See what I mean...so scientific! :) I see that many of you have voted on what you think this babe is going to be. It's been neck-and-neck the whole time. I guess that shows exactly how I feel. I don't have a clue. I would be equally happy with either one. I would love to have a girl; a mini-me. Well, that is unless she has my childhood temperament. I want a girl-version of Ty. I want all of our kids to be a lot like their dad, actually! I would love to dress her and do her hair and just see what it's like to have a little woman around. A little friend for me. I would also love another little man. I am so in love with the one I already have! When Max was born 17 months ago I quickly became convinced that I would like a whole mess of boys, like my mother-in-law. She had 6. I know that some women have a "feeling" one way or another and sometimes I feel like I'm kind of an out-of-touch mom since I don't have that, but I just don't. I'll be waiting to see with the rest of you. Friday at 3:00 will hopefully be the "hour of truth"!

I know that I sounded sarcastic in the first paragraph, but if you had a sincere conversation with me you would know that I really, really love being pregnant. I love the way I look (most of the time). I love that I have this incredibly personal bond with this miracle who I will soon hold in my arms. I love that I get to feel the movements and by so doing get a bit of a feel for his/her personality. I love the moments when I am alone - meaning without Ty or Max or anyone else - but I am not really alone. I have this precious time to put my hand on my belly and sit in awe of this amazing process and the spirit that will be housed in a tiny, helpless body that I get to care for and raise. I feel honored to be the mother to this new tiny person - girl or boy.

8 comments:

Kenn N said...

That scientific test is hilarious, Amy would enjoy it. "You don't crave the heel of a loaf of bread" Who tracks that kind of statistic? Just phenomenal.

Good luck tomorrow, I voted boy. Boy's are cooler.

The Nicks Family said...

Well I must be out of touch too, because I never could tell you what I was having before I found out. So you are not alone :) I am sorry that things are crazy and I know you love being pregnant and all the stuff that goes with it. You don't have to convince anyone of that. I can't wait to find out what you are having and to know what team this one will join in the grandkids department. Love ya Dana!!

Madsen Family said...

Dana--I LOVE it! I, too, had NO clue what my baby was going to be, so don't feel bad. I am about 100% sure that yours is a boy, though. Perhaps I just say that because what fun if we both had boys. And I know what you mean about pregnancy--it's great and hard at the same time. I love the miracle of life I'm carrying but I am not so fond of the aching back and aching stomach and constant indigestion. Last night I asked Josh how women do this more than once....I told him he should be perfectly happy with three kids because that may be as many times as I'm willing to do this:) Anyway, can't wait to find out what you're having. Let the record show that I say boy.:)

janet said...

Thanks for sharing your test results. I was going to ask you what direction your pillow faced and what shade of yellow your pee is... but this post cleared that up for me! Can't wait to hear the official scientific news tomorrow.

Also, just wanted to say that your phone call the other day was just what I needed. You are such a sweet caring friend... and therefore, you must be having a girl. I was a total wench during my pregnancies (scientifically proven to be a result of having boys.)

val said...

Yeah, I can't wait to hear the results either. Let us know ASAP! Yipee. I hope "she" cooperates! (Ok so I might be wrong on my guess, I was FOR SURE we were having a boy so that tells you how much I know)

Jamie Claire said...

Its always great to read your blog and all your insights to this amzingly crazy process of pregnancy, I am still in the holy cow I'm pregnant phase! We are about 2 weeks apart and I get to find out if a little boy or girl is on its way! I'm so excited for you and hope you are doing great and feeling good! much love to you and your little family up north

Unknown said...

I can't wait! I know it isn't even 3:00 yet, but I keep checking just in case they moved your appt up or something so I can find out! I hope that all goes well for you today! I know I couldn't be like Halle Berry and not find out. Yes, there it is nice to have surprises, but honestly, who wants their baby to wear green and yellow for their first year of life. I guess if you have Halle's millions, you could go shopping for pink or blue, or better yet, have somebody go shopping for you!

I've babbled enough! I will be anxiously checking your blog to find out girl or boy! Love ya!

Camille said...

Hey, I'm excited to find out what you're having too! Either way, it's going to be so fun I'm sure. Little Max is a total cutie! (I'm so glad to be back in touch with you too!)