Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Luau in Your Mouth!

I was inspired by my friend Cathy recently. She put some yummy pictures of food she had made, accompanied by the recipes, on her blog. Because of that, I tried out the pizza she showcased and it was a hit. So I've decided to do the same. The other night I was making a great dish called Chicken Luau that I got from a recipe book I received on my mission in Hawai'i. I've made it several times and we really love it. While I was making it, I thought, "This is really pretty," and then the idea came to share it with all of my friends and family. Now, the Fosters have this recipe in their cookbook, but maybe if you haven't tried it yet this will make you want to!

Super fast prep time - maybe 10-15 minutes. Though it does take some forethought since it has to cook for a while. The recipe says to leave the chicken breasts whole and if you do it takes 2-2 1/2 hours to cook. If you do like we do and cut the chicken breasts into strips, though, it takes 1-1 1/2 hours in our gas oven. I hope these pictures make it look good instead of making you want to gag. I guess it looks good to me because I know how good the end product tastes. I apologize to any of my readers who may be pregnant and are dealing with a bad food relationship right now...you may want to close out of this blog!



Here's the recipe:
5lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I usually use 4 breasts)
1 can coconut milk (can be found in the Asian section of any supermarket)
3-4 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 tsp salt and pepper or garlic salt
2 pkg Luau leaves (you'll most likely want to substitute with fresh spinach since I've never been able to find luau leaves on the Mainland. It just takes 1 bunch of spinach, usually.)
Parmesan cheese
Place cleaned leaves in 9x13 pan. Cover entire bottom of pan; leave no holes. Salt and pepper chicken and lay on leaves. Mix coconut milk and cream of chicken in bowl and pour over chicken. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 hours (or half of that if you cut the breasts into strips) uncovered.

I would ALWAYS serve this with rice, but that's up to you!
*Mark and Liz, notice the yummy zucchini from your garden. Yep, we're still chipping away at it! So far I've made 8 loaves of zucchini bread, one zucchini dish for a ward activity and we've had it steamed for dinner several times. THANKS for the gift that keeps on giving! :)*

10 comments:

Emily Youngdell said...

I love new recipes!! I have some chicken in my fridge right now that I have been wondering what to do with...now I know. It looks so good. Thanks for sharing! Love ya.

Madsen Family said...

Dana--I HAVE to make this just so that I can see that same happy, happy look on Josh's face that Tyler has on his. It MUST be a good meal for him to be smiling like that:) I love getting new recipes, too. If ever I make anything worth sharing than you'll be the first to know!

janet said...

Looks delicious!!

Emily Youngdell said...

That was so delicious. I loved all of the different flavors and I thought the parmesean cheese on top was so good. Definitely a new favorite! Everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe! Feel free to share any of your other favorite recipes too. Ü

Danalin said...

Hooray! I just told Ty tonight that I was nervous you wouldn't like it. I'll be sure to share some more recipes in the future!

Tyler said...

It is a happy night at our house when Chicken Luau is on the menu!

Ann said...

ooh, that recipe looks great! I can't wait to try it! Also, you look even better than the recipe! (and I like food a lot, so that's saying a lot.) I love the shirt and i say wear it as long as you can get it on! I bet your husband REALLY loved coming home that day! Brian is rarely so lucky as to come home to a made-up wife. Your little guy is darling, too!

Sandy said...

Looks yummy! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing it :)

nickel... said...

Well I'm so happy that I inspired you to post this yummy yummy looking dish! Mark loves all things chicken but I get bored with it so the coconut milk should be a fun way to add a twist so that we are both satisfied! I am going to add this to our menu next week! I will report on how it went! :)

mikeandemily77 said...

I think we had this at your house once. As soon as I read the blog I started craving it. I'm going to make it this Sunday. Thanks for posting the recipe.