Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Dream Has Died

So I really wanted to do a home birth with this babe.  Really, really wanted to do a home birth.  I haven't had horrible hospital experiences, I just know that I can do it all on my own and after the baby is born there is nowhere I would rather be than in my home with that sweet little person fresh from heaven. I want the spirit and beauty that accompanies a birth to be here, in the place where my family is. Plus I live two minutes from the hospital and I felt confident that we would be able to get to it in time if something were to go wrong.  Midwives, after all, are not crazy people who never monitor and will keep you at your home whatever the cost.  I did research and I was confident, peaceful, and excited about it.

However, just before Everett was born, Ty's company changed insurance.  Aetna, apparently, is one of the few insurance companies who will not cover a home birth.  Not any part of it.  They want nothing to do with it.  So we explored other options.  One fell through completely.  Then we thought about just paying for it out-of-pocket.  Tyler was totally willing, but it was going to be a difference of $1000 + and I just can't bring myself to do it.  We have insurance, I don't hate the hospital or doctors, maybe this is for a reason....so we're going the Dr./hospital route again.

I think that I needed time to mourn the loss of the home birth experience because I've know for almost a month (more than a month?) that it's not going to happen, but I was not getting on the stick to get a Dr.  Insurance changed, as I mentioned, and so this babe was going to have someone new no matter what.  Well, you'll be happy to know that even though I'm about done with my first trimester, I finally got a doctor. Dr. Christen to be exact.  He's a minimalist when it comes to intervention and likes to let women do their thing in giving birth; just what I am looking for.  The scheduler thought there was no way it was going to work out because I was calling so late in the pregnancy and he was scheduled out really far, but lo and behold, there was a cancellation for next Tuesday.  And she was able to schedule an ultrasound (measuring and date purposes) for this Friday. I'm really excited about the ultrasound.  My stomach has popped (at 12 weeks!?) but I don't get to feel the babe moving yet, so this will make it more real to me.  And I am sure that I will really like Dr. Christen and all will be well.

Like anyone really cares about all of this, but I felt like sharing. :)

3 comments:

val said...

ooh it's been a while since i've commented on your blog cause i'm just noticing now what cute photos you have on the side bar. i have seen these adorable photos on fb but i should comment more often. you know how hard those few extra clicks are sometimes!
i'm so glad you've come to a decision on how to bring this baby into this world. i'm sure it's nice to have a plan in place and a dr. i personally love the hospital. not the in and out interruptions but seriously-i do like it. i'm well cared for. have great food at my fingertips and don't have other distractions i would have at home. i enjoy the few days of quiet just with my newborn. i'm sure it helps that i've had two great experiences. i'm sure some have hospital horror stories. exciting about your ultrasound. keep us posted.
just got your email. i will respond when i don't have two little ones asking me for a snack! love you.

Em and TJ said...

I love, love, love Dr. Christen! He's my doctor and he is truly awesome. He gives you the attention you need, but is laid back which I appreciate. Both my labors were with him too and everything went beautifully! So excited for you!

campblondie said...

Sounds like a plan stan! The Dr seems like a dream come true. Hope things go well on Tues.