Thursday, May 06, 2010

Say WHAT?!


For all of the mundane, exhausting, frustrating aspects of this motherhood gig, there are so many great aspects that make this job rock. I'm lucky to have these three little humans to look after. The key is to remember that when all three are screaming/crying/pestering each other at once...I'm working on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: Can you believe you're going to be 4 years old?!

Max: No, but I'm excited!

Me: Me too.

Max: Mom, when I'm 4 I'm not going to throw ANY fits and I will get EVERYTHING for you that you ask me to.

Me: That will be awesome.

Max: Yeah...(long pause) but I'm 3 still. And when I'm 3 I'll still throw some fits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kids were picking up their bazillion small army men and I was counting to 200 to see how 'fast' they could do it. I got to 88 and Kelly says...

"Mom, we shouldn't say 'idiot'!" You're so right, sister. Except I said 88, not idiot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You remember this little guy?
The one I gave birth to a little over 3 months ago?
The one that I've bragged about on this blog as being the BEST babe?
Yep, that's the one. Well.

It all started on Sunday. *Warning: possible TMI ahead* I was nursing and it was time to switch sides. I lay him on his left side and try to start nursing when he violently thrashes his head to the side and screams. CANNOT get him to chill out as long as I'm trying to get him to eat on that side. A burp? Nope. Full? Nope. This goes on for three days. I figured out that if I did the football hold I could get him to eat on both sides, though (thank goodness!). I talk to several friends and my sister who all seem to think the same thing - an ear infection. Neither of my other kiddos have had one and I was sure that the collective wisdom of all of these women had to be right.

I decided to get him checked out. I saw a different doc than our normal one and when I told him the symptoms and stated rather matter-of-factly that it was likely an ear infection, he said, "Well, he wouldn't have that kind of a reaction with an ear infection. Sometimes babies have a side preference." "Yeah, but that can't be the case. It was so sudden and his reaction is so violent. He has to be in pain. I'm sure something's up." The doc starts poking around in my sleeping boy's ears; Everett starts to open his eyes to see what's going on, then opens them wide and greets the doc with a huge grin. That's my little lover, that's the kind of stuff he's made of. He's rudely awakened out of a deep sleep by a stranger and instead of being annoyed he grins. 'Side preference' - pfffsshh.

The examination found that his ears were....FINE. Perfect, actually. Clavicles? Fine. He's a perfectly healthy boy with a side preference when nursing. WHAT?! Is this for real? I had never heard of such a thing. "Just keep trying and he may grow out of it." Ummm....okay. I walked out of the office with my head hung in slight embarrassment. Did I really just spend $25 to be told that my son is slightly stubborn? Cute, but slightly stubborn?

Sure did.

And it makes me love him a little more. Way to make yourself heard, little man.

4 comments:

The Nicks Family said...

Sorry I was wrong :( I have never had a child who had a side preference! That totally cracks me up that he is just stubborn (just like his Papa). He is sure cute though!

val said...

funny...after reading your post my thought was, "say whuut?" which is your title...but i'm pretty sure i didn't notice that. just shows how "n-sync" we are :)
what a funny guy. ooh and a cutie!

carly said...

okay! that is really so random! i have never heard of such a thing! he is pretty cute!:)

Kawai said...

so funny...all my kids had a side preference....yup, they all loved the same side. And so now that explains the uneven-ness and frustration that comes with dressing! hahaha!!!