Saturday, May 15, 2010

Inspiration Shared

A few weeks ago I was reading my scriptures (the Book of Mormon, to be precise) and came across some verses that I love...a lot. They made me think of a dear friend going through a trial and I felt strongly that I should share the inspiration with her. It was then shared with another friend who needed it for a talk at Church that Sunday.

Well.

Wouldn't you know it, just a few weeks later I found myself in the depths. I'd been on the verge for a while, but finally dove deep. You may recall. This same dear friend sent me a supportive e-mail and then said she felt like she should send me back the e-mail I had sent to her a few weeks previous. Turns out this bit of inspiration had more than one purpose.

So I decided to share it here. It might be just what someone out there needs to hear. I love the scriptures!

Dear Friend,


"I was reading my scriptures this morning and thought about sharing what I read with you. It's in Ether 6. The Jaredites have built their barges to take them to the promised land, they climb in with faith, and start on their journey. I really LOVE these verses. The Jaredites did everything they could do to prepare for their journey - they did their part and then commended themselves to God. In verses 5 & 6 it says: "the Lord caused that there should be a furious wind blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land; and thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind. And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind (the wind, remember, that the Lord caused to blow)." But despite all of the waves and the winds, they were protected and nothing could really hurt them. When they were encompassed about by many waters, though, they cried to the Lord and he brought them forth again, back on top of the waters. However, the wind never ceased to blow towards the promised land. They were sure to thank the Lord throughout their ordeal and when they finally landed in the promised land, they knelt and humbled themselves before the Lord and shed tears of joy because of the multitude of tender mercies the Lord had shown them.

I know that Heavenly Father knows our exact "location" on this life journey always. He sends the "winds" (trials) for the purpose of bringing us ever closer to Him. And when we are so overcome by the "waves" that are upon us and we cry for deliverance, He will deliver us from them; He knows how much is too much. And we may have a bit of a breather, but then the winds will inevitably come again because we must get to Him - to our promised land. I love that the "winds" have such a purpose. Without them, we would be bobbing in the water, never progressing anywhere. But He doesn't send the winds and then figure that He has done His job and forget about us - He is ever watchful of the process. He sends the winds and then watches and listens and waits for us to say that it is too much...then a reprieve...then more winds. He wants us to come Home."


Love,

Danalin


Or I think I should say...


Love,

Your Father in Heaven. It's His message, after all.

1 comment:

Monique said...

Jason and I took Sister Ewell's Book of Mormon Institute class this last year and we just read Ether a couple of weeks ago. It really is a powerful story. Thanks for sharing.