Thursday, January 22, 2009

MISERABLE

That's how I feel.  I have no idea why I thought I should get those stinkin' wisdom teeth taken out.  Just leave 'em there if you have the choice, people.  I am in some serious, throbbing pain (more on the left than the right).  I want to cry all of the time.  I take the ibuprofen but feel too out of it to take the stronger stuff while I'm home taking care of the kids.  Plus on Monday and Tuesday I came down with a horrible cold/flu that did nothing but exacerbate the ever-present pain.  Every time I sneezed it felt like the cound was being ripped open again. I thought this would be a walk in the park.  Not so.  I would rather recover from childbirth ten more times than go through this again.  I can't talk/smile/eat normal...which makes mothering a little tricky since I am always talking to and smiling at my kiddos.  I can't help myself.  But by the end of the day I pay for it. My whole head hurts.  I am a total mouth-pain wimp.  I fully admit it.  I am tough in other ways, but not this way.  Complete wimp.  I hate it and I want to eat again and I want to talk without wincing and I want to sit on my couch doing nothing without a throbbing, consuming pain on (mostly) the left side of my face.  

I even went to the doctor today - a day early - for my follow-up visit because I thought, 'Surely this cannot be normal.'  They just smiled nicely and nodded their head with empathy, then squirted a syringe full of stinging mouthwash on the area.  Then the nice doctor (who really is nice) wanted to talk to me about something he saw on my x-ray that could be a tumor/cyst...he's not sure.  He wants to see x-rays from my previous dentists to compare and we'll go from there.  Dude, you're dreaming if you think that you're getting close to my mouth again!  Let that tumor eat away all of my nerve endings - see if I care.  Okay, so I would get it taken care of, but let the record show that I do NOT want any more oral surgery in my lifetime.  Okay, that's enough griping for now.  This wimp is going to lay down and take a nap and enjoy the non-talking time I have left until the kids wake up.  

10 comments:

janet said...

hang in there girl! I was SO out of it when I got my wisdom teeth out. It was terrible. Just curl up with your kid and watch lots of movies together. You can do it! You ran a freakin' marathon. You will conquer!

Bonny said...

Oh man, that's terrible! Mouth pain is definitely the WORST! I hope you start feeling better soon girl! Love ya!

The Nicks Family said...

I am so sorry!!! I remember when I had mine out, it was about 2 weeks before I felt good again. Everyone said my the end of the weekend you will be great, umm not so! Take it easy, and like Janet said curl up with your kids and watch a movie. It's okay to not be so entertaining all of the time!!! Love ya!!

Madsen Family said...

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 23 and BOY DID IT HURT. I was the same way--I felt abnormal for having such pain. I went to the oral surgeon and DEMANDED he give me something for the pain (I didn't want to take any more pain killers--I have a secret fear that I may be a drug addict if I let myself be one, so I'm extra paranoid about pain killers). Anyway, they gave me this oral numbing gel that I would shoot in the area of pain with a syringe and VOILA: numbness. It saved me. I wish I knew what it was called, but maybe you can be a pain like me and DEMAND it from your doctor. Oh, I hope you feel better soon. I can totally empathize with the pain. I am wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kristen said...

Mouth pain really is the worst. Getting my wisdom teeth out was not a good experience either. But it does go away, so that's good. Feel better!

Emily Youngdell said...

Oh man, I feel so bad. I wish I could help! Just try to take it easy.
I have never had my wisdom teeth out and now I for sure don't want them out.

Ann said...

So you didn't have dry sockets, huh? That's what caused all my pain when I got my tonsils out. I thought maybe you had them too, until I read further that you had been back to the doctor. BUMMER. I feel for you...

Unknown said...

I am sorry you feel so terrible! I wish I lived closer to you so I could take your kids and feed you soup like they did on Little Women (I have secretly wanted to do that for one of my family members ever since I saw the movie). But I love you and your in my prayers! Call me if you just need to talk!

Marleen said...

Yeah, I had a not so fun time when I got mine out either. It is horrible. Hope the mass is nothing and that surgeon will back off.

Jamie Claire said...

Did the doctor explain to you what he saw on the Xray and did he take a new set to see how you are healing? Sometimes especially women can develop cysts in their jaw around exsisting teeth or in areas where a tooth was extracted, 3rd molars are the worst and can be so much trouble in or out--I had one out with my dad and it was a breeze compared to the Oral surgeon---one of my lower molars roots overlapped with a nerve and when they pulled it I lost feeling in that side of my jaw--that was after some extreme pain. Did they explain to you alternating Ibuprofen and the Rx meds. If you take them that way you can usually take the edge off and still be coherent with the kiddos. Or half a rx med and Ibuprofen I am soo sorry you are hurting and I don't want to sound preachy on what to do I just get really upset when I hear about dental probelems and the doctor or the staff isn't doing their job----did the OS call you after your procedure? Or at least one of his staff--if not he is slacking big time.