Thursday, January 08, 2009

FACT:

I cannot be a good/nice mom and have a throbbing headache at the same time.

I've been getting headaches every afternoon this week. Maybe it's my way of protesting my hubby having to return to work after two weeks off? I don't usually get headaches. Today was the worst of it. Last night I went to see a movie with a friend and didn't get home until just before midnight. OF COURSE that means that Kelly (who for the past several weeks had been sleeping until about 8:30 or 9:00 each morning) woke up at 6:00 a.m. *She was super cute and cuddled and 'talked' to me in my bed like never before. Not much of a cuddler, that one, so I loved it. She had her arm underneath my head and played with my hair. For a while we just lay there, quietly cuddling. Then she started to chat it up. It was oh-so-cute, despite the early hour.* I thought, though, that I could get her to fall back asleep. Alas, Max woke up a little after 7:00 and that meant it was all over. We did have some good talking/cuddling/Max making Kelly laugh time in my bed, though. That was the best part of the day.

It was all downhill after that. My head started pounding early. I don't know why, but it seems that since my pregnancies I am a lot less likely to take a pill. I just massage my head and try to relax to get the pain to go away. That made for a pretty lame mom this morning. My poor kids. Plus Kelly is teething, I think, and so she was extra needy and had some fussiness today which makes Max think that he needs some extra love from the mom as well. On a normal, non-headache day this would have been a little trying, but today it was all I could do to put on a happy face. And I didn't for a good chunk of the morning. I even made a really frustrated groan that scared Kelly pretty bad. I felt horrible. Lots of kisses and hugging to make up for that. Thank goodness they both still take afternoon naps! The evening went much smoother since I finally took a few Tylenol and had a break. My poor kids. Tomorrow will be better. I learned my lesson, pop those pills! :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You and I should have talked yesterday morning, I didn't have a headache, but I didn't feel like I was being a very good mom, I yelled at Jack and he did his very hurt feelings cry. That was when I realized how mean I was being, I felt SO bad! But I guess we are not perfect and we are going have more moments like those. I am sorry you have been having headaches, maybe Ty should stay home a couple more days to ease your aches or maybe you should take a pill first thing, instead of waiting most the day! :) I love you so much!

Shawna said...

I have the same problem with avoiding pills; Jeff gets annoyed because I'll get really grumpy. Mandy's teething too, and that extra fussines makes it hard to get anything done!
Don't feel bad about being grumpy with the babes; it happens. Hope you're feeling better!

Kristen said...

Yeah I have to fake being happy once in a while too. My students catch on real quick if something is wrong. Pills do help. Drink lots of water.

Anonymous said...

You silly goose, I'm thinking modern day things such as aspirin are a step up from old headache reliefs such as drilling a hole in your head to release the 'demon'. I'm guessing that your kids know you're human :D

Anonymous said...

put an ice pack on the aching area for 20 minutes...continue every 90 minutes until the headache is gone. Trust me, I'm a migraine getter and just sought the advice of a PT.

Kirsten said...

Cha! I can totally relate to that one, baby! I feel so terrible when I am grumpy with my kids. Xander has developed an ear piercing shriek (I am NOT kidding about this - my sister dubbed him the Nazgul Parakeet) and it makes my patience run quite thin.

Try neck stretches too. They help me out. Deep breaths!!

campblondie said...

Ouch! My eyes started to ache just thinking about it. I'm so sorry. Unfortunatly my kids just walk away when I am being crazy unhappy mom, they don't even get their feelings hurt anymore. Does that mean I'm crazy too often? Get some good sleep tonight.

Beth said...

Dana-TOTALLY agree! There really is nothing worse than being sick and trying to still take care of your kids---let only when they are having rough days! I love your groan scaring Kelly! So funny!!

janet said...

I totally cracked up reading that you groaned and it scared Kelly. Seriously funny. I think we are all lucky we haven't checked into an asylum by now. Popping pills is the only way to go... and I am talking about the hard core stuff. Aspirin is for the birds.