Sunday, October 19, 2008

I finally felt like blogging, you lucky people! :) So here's what we've been up to...

This little man with the cheesy, wonderful smile is so fun! I love that he's getting older and we get to hear what's going on in that head of his. Some fun things he says/has said lately that I'll share:
He started saying "Hip, Hip, Hooray!" But what comes out is "Hiccup Hooray!" - Max is fond of saying "Hey for-a-buddy" (spelled phonetically) which is his version of "Hey everybody"... last Monday our Family Home Evening lesson was on the scriptures and we got talking about prophets. I used the little object lesson from my mission about how there is a wall between us and the Lord and we can receive answers to our own prayers through that wall, but if the Lord has something that He needs to tell the whole world, then He tells a Prophet who stands on top of the wall and the Prophet tells all of us (Reader's Digest Version for you all). It was typical FHE with a two-year-old and I wasn't sure how well he was listening...but then toward the end of FHE he stood on top of one of his toys and said in a loud and serious tone, 'Hey, for-a-buddy, I...am...a prophet. (deep breath in) Let's talk(deep breath)...let's talk about Jesus. (another exaggerated breath, sticking hand in jeans pocket) Jesus lives in heaven. (deep breath). Hey, for-a-buddy....(repeat of same speech a few more times). Suffice it to say, his parents loved it and were proud of our little listening boy.
..........................................................................
This little lady with the crazy hair is super close to being a full-fledged crawler. She's been quite mobile for a while now with her army crawling and rolling skills, but she's getting up on all fours a lot more often. Her first tooth finally broke through (hallelujah!) last Monday and tooth #2 is on the way. She lights up the world - and not just ours. Oh how we love her!
........................................................................
Tyler Michael totally deserved some extra love from his little family -
so we made him King for the Day!King for the Day came complete with a "throne"
(bean bag covered with everything a king could need - a crown with flattering words written all over, two favorite kinds of candy, newspaper, a card full of loving words, a "royal remote" and a plate of grapes, strawberries and cheese *not pictured*)I just wanted Ty to know that we really appreciate him. He had a lot of lame things going on - the washing machine broke and he was trying to fix it, the computer was all jacked and he was working on that, I backed into a truck a few weeks before and dented our new van (which, by the way, he was extremely nice about "Dana, we don't buy cars to have them as trophies. It's fine, don't worry about it" No groan or frustration once through the whole thing), he goes to work everyday at a job that isn't his favorite...and he does it all willingly and makes sure the rest of the fam is doing well. I am so, so grateful to have such a wonderful man in my life and I wanted him to know it.

I taught Max to say, "I am your servant" and all day we called him "King Dad". Our instructions were to put off the projects that needed to be done and relax. We were going to do whatever he wanted to do. One kink in the plan was that he ended up going to work that morning, so we didn't have as much time to cater to his every whim as we would have liked. But we still went to the pumpkin patch (pictures below), had a nice steak dinner and a quiet, wonderful evening at home. Great day.
.......................................................................
Pumpkins! We got 'em. Oh, and we also made Max's dreams come true (see tractor pictures below).

.........................................................................
I signed up to run the Valley of Fire Marathon. 26.2 miles of straight running. Holy cow. So far my longest run is 16 miles (done yesterday). It felt good, although my left knee was giving me some serious problems. Today my friend whose degree is in exercise physiology told me that I need to do some exercises to strengthen my hamstrings and quads. She gave me a few that will be good to do so I'll get on that tomorrow. Next Saturday is 18 miles and the following will be my longest - 20 miles. Why is it that most training programs only take you up to 20-23 miles? Anyone know? I'm getting excited, but the emotion I mostly feel is fear when I'm just thinking about it. Sometimes I wish that I had a running buddy around here and then someone to run the actual race with me. But I also enjoy the solitude and thinking time. That thinking time, though, sometimes turns to, "What in the world was I thinking?", "Why I am paying money to do this?", "Maybe I can transfer that money to run a half instead". I can't let those thoughts linger long, however. This kind of running takes serious mental energy and positive thinking. I know that I'll finish, however slow I may be....

9 comments:

Marleen said...

You can do it! Do it for all of the women and men who wanted to, but because of phyisical conditions are unable to. I wish I could have ran and still dream of running from time to time but I love my knees and ankles too much. It wouldn't be wise of me to throw away a good body for a selfish desire. There are many who would love to be up and running - go and do it for them.

Kristen said...

You're going to do great!! I always wish I had a running buddy. Every time I meet someone new, I ask, "do you like to run?" Just to see if they would take the place.
You're amazing!

Bonny said...

What a great post! Your kiddos are too cute for words! I can't wait to see you and them! I loved Max's family home evening lesson - such a little smartie. And I can't believe Kelly is almost crawling. She will be up and walking before you know it!
You are amazing Dana and you can totally do it! Good luck!

campblondie said...

What cute kids. Kelly's hair reminds me of Tess's, a little unruly but so dang cute! That's so exciting about the marathon, you can totally do it. Ain't no thang.

Beth said...

ok, I need your email address, but I will try to condense as much as possible. #1, I seriously considered doing Vegas once I read your comment, told my hubby--he thought it was a joke. Still thinking. . . . #2, you WILL DO IT!!! PROMISE!! I really, really, really am NOT a runner. Don't like it, but I eat too much crap to not get out and do something. If you train, you are fine. P-R-O-M-I-S-E!!!! I can't imagine running by myself, and that more than anything makes me want to come do it w/ you. And, if you have run 20, (that was our top) you will get there. I walked mile 22-24 because I was started to get dizzy etc, but then ran the rest and made it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! And, totally love "king of the day." SO CUTE! Might have to steal that one!

Dax and Steph said...

That is totally fine if you check in on our blog! I like keeping in contact with everyone and updating Dax on his family. Your kids are very cute and I will probably be peeking in at your blog too!

janet said...

Max is so BIG! love the hiccup horray. I might just start saying that.

That crazy hair girl is SO cute! I can't wait to meet her.

and way to sign up for the marathon. I went 4 miles this morning and the ENTIRE time I was wondering how anyone could run a marathon. I would so love to join you, but I would hate every second of it. You are such an inspiration, girl!

Sheila Buchei said...

Kids say the darndest things.....in sharing time a few months ago the question was asked
"who helped Joseph Smith translate the gold plates". A little 4 year old boy raised his hand after his teacher whispered the answer in his ear - and he blurted out ALL OF THE COW TREES! That's my most memorable sharing time!

Angie said...

Hey Dana!
You go girl! You're marathon is going to be awesome! I can't wait to hear about it.

I love reading your posts about your adorable kids and all the fun things they're doing. Also, your King Dad day sounded like fun! What a good idea!