Monday, August 18, 2008

One for the books...

Another triathlon has come and gone. I loved it! It was the hardest I've done thus far. The bike portion was KILLER. The first seven miles felt good...then came the hill of all hills. I looked up ahead and thought, "Surely we're turning off before we have to go up that whole thing!" Oh, not so. Not only did I have to go up that crazy hill, that was just the beginning. It would flatten out for just a bit and then I would look up and see that there was another 1/4 mile or so of craziness up ahead. The course description said that there was a 500 ft. elevation gain during the bike course. What it didn't say is that there was a 500 ft. elevation gain within about a mile and a half. Ugh! I kept hearing Ty's voice, "Dig deep, Dana, you can do it!" I was almost in tears when finally the thing came to an end. I felt really good on the run, which is encouraging to me for the half-marathon that I'll be doing in October. If I can feel good running after swimming and then riding the bike course of death, then I think I'll be alright.

You see the guy finishing just behind me? Well, I have a little story to share. I was coming to the last portion of the race and way ahead I saw this guy walking. My first thought was, "Good. Someone to pass." I'm kind of competitive but not super fast, so when I see that I can pass someone, that gives me a little adrenaline kick and some sort of thrill. I know, not very nice. There was another group of girls that were running slower and I had just passed them. We were coming into the home stretch. I was coming up on this guy who I had seen walking for quite some time and just as I passed him I touched his arm and said, "Run!" I don't know what surprised me more - that I said it or that he actually responded. He immediately started running alongside me. As we were running I said, "You push me and I'll push you." He sounded desperate and on the verge of tears and said, "I'm trying!" "You're doing great! Just keep going," I said. I have to tell you that I felt electrified from my head to my toes. Literally. It was physical. I felt so proud of this man I did not know. I was pulling for him and suddenly didn't care about my own race anymore. I wanted him to feel great about his finish. I was on the verge of tears myself, but for a different reason. The end of a race always feels emotional to me and this was adding a different element to that emotion. He gasped, "How much longer?!" I told him that we were almost there, it couldn't be more than .2 miles. Suddenly we came around a corner and there was the finish line, lined with people. I said, "Come on!" and we kicked it up and ran our hearts out to the finish. I heard his wife or some lady cheering for him as we were reaching the finish line. He and I didn't talk afterward - I don't think he could talk at that point. But it was a really cool experience for me. All I could think about for the rest of the day was how good it felt to help someone else to the finish line. It was a different kind of feeling at the finish than I've ever had before. I'm tearing up just typing this out and thinking about it. For the rest of the day I was also drawing parallels to the Gospel of Jesus Christ - to our life here on earth and how we must endure it well - to how we must look for those who feel like they can't go any farther and how sometimes we are the person that can't go any farther and hopefully someone will be there to grab our arm and encourage us a little bit farther. It might sound a little cheesy here, but it was one of those moments...you know, those moments where eternal principles come into play in our everyday lives in a powerful way. It felt incredible. I really felt that Heavenly Father reached down and gave me that experience. Maybe that guy didn't really need my help, but I needed - and appreciated - that little lesson from above.


Some post-race family shots. I especially love the one of Ty and Max walking with the bike. Love my boys. Max was so proud of us and kept asking, "Did you have a good run, Mom?", "Was it a good race, Mom?" We took a great babysitter with us - Jessica Kennedy. Max loves her and she is so great with both of the kids. She spent the night on Friday since we had to leave our house by 5:00 a.m. So nice to not have to worry about the kiddos while we raced.


...and if you don't want to smother these adorable faces with kisses then there
must be something wrong with you. :)

12 comments:

Madsen Family said...

Yeah, you did it again. You never cease to amaze me, Dana. You had a baby AFTER me and here you've run two triatholons and I ran around the block once.....I am in desperate need to get in shape. You motivate me--and in more ways than one. Congratulations, my friend. And I DO want to smother your kids with kisses, I do, I do!

Emily Youngdell said...

Way to go! Love the story you shared, it seriously gave me chills. Dana, I think I would have been in tears the entire time. It sounds painful, and yet fun at the same time.

Mike and Heidi said...

Congratulations Dana! You are amazing and an inspiration to me. You look great!

Unknown said...

Way to go Ty & Dana! Reading about your races and the whole experience makes me so excited to run one myself! Thank you for sharing your story D! I got all teary eyed up reading it and even now, what an awesome experience! I love you guys and I especially love those pictures of Max and Kelly (I spelled it right)! :)

Unknown said...

Way to go Ty & Dana! Reading about your races and the whole experience makes me so excited to run one myself! Thank you for sharing your story D! I got all teary eyed up reading it and even now, what an awesome experience! I love you guys and I especially love those pictures of Max and Kelly (I spelled it right)! :)

Beth said...

WOW---goood job! And, I am totally the same about passing people. I can't help it. It's also bad when you hear footsteps behind you and know someone is passing YOU! And, I love that story! I need you as a running buddy! I think it is funny that you grabbed his arm and touched himn the the first place! So cute!Kelly is getting SO big! She is adorable!

Shawna said...

Congratulations Dana, that is so amazing! And what an incredible experience to end the race with; things like that make wonderful events even better.

And your babies are just adorable.

The Nicks Family said...

Way to go!!!! Such a neat story and I am sure was an awesome experience!! I love the pictures of your kiddos, they are absolutely adorable! Kelly is getting so big! I can't wait to see the changes she makes from our reunion until Nov. Love ya!!

Kristen said...

You're awesome Dana! I hope we can do one together some day!

Bonny said...

Congrats! What a great accomplishment!
I love your cute little ones - they are so squish-able!!
Love you!

Sandy said...

You go girl! Thanks for sharing that story. having run a few marathons myself I totally understand that feeling of hitting the wall, feeling like I just can't go on and then getting a little encouragement from a complete stranger---awesome!

Angie said...

Wa-hoo! I'm a little embarassed that I haven't gotten around to reading this post until now, but I'm so proud of you! I think that's so awesome that you can push your body like that. You are an inspiration to us all!