Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Dream Delivery

First, here are some pictures of our very little, very beautiful girl:



Okay, here's the skinny on my "dream delivery"....

I wanted to try to go "natural" (meaning no epidural) with Max but it sure didn't work out that way. I was attached to pitocin, vitamins, fluids, epidural - you name it, it was on my IV tower. I am SO not opposed to an epidural, but I've always wanted to try going without.

Well, on Sunday morning at 5:05 a.m. I was brought out of my peaceful slumber by my water breaking! I hit Ty on the arm pretty hard (he's not always easy to wake up and I had to get out of bed so that I didn't ruin the mattress or something) and told him that my water broke. Shortly after, we called Labor & Delivery who said, "See you in 15 minutes!" We got the van and Max all loaded up, dropped Max off at Tutu's house and were at the hospital shortly after 6:00 a.m. By this time my contractions were just starting but weren't very strong. By about 7:30, though, they had gotten quite a bit stronger. I'd spent about 40 minutes in the jacuzzi tub (loved that!) and got out to be checked. I was dilated to a 3. Not super encouraging for me. The nurse told us to walk around the halls for a while and then she would check in on us again. We spent some time out in the halls - thank goodness for the railings! - where my contractions were getting MUCH harder. We got back in the room where I was starting to talk epidural. The nurse checked me and said that I was at a 6. The anesthesiologist was in a c-section and wouldn't be done for a half hour, so she said to just keep working through my contractions and we would make a decision once he got out. Well, she came in a little while later and asked if I just wanted him to come in or if I wanted to be checked first. I wanted to be checked. I was at an 8 1/2! I knew that I could totally do it then. This was at about 9:30 a.m. I spent most of the time up on my knees on the bed with the back of the bed up and my arms dangling over the edge. Ty was allowed to rub my lower back at that point. Okay, REQUIRED would be a more appropriate word, but I couldn't handle him touching my arms or shoulders. I get pretty silent while I am in labor, and probably even more so this time. It was a really spiritual time for me. I spent a lot of it in prayer, asking for strength to get me through each contraction. I thought a lot about the Savior and kept a picture of Him in my mind in the Garden of Gethsemane. Don't get me wrong, I also felt a lot of pain, but I am so thankful for the strength and comfort that I received. I am grateful to have the perfect empathy of the Savior to call upon. I am also so thankful for the nurse that I had! She gave me really good advice (like to keep my upper body as relaxed as possible during each contraction - hard to do when you just want to grip the railing and your husband's hand as tightly as possible, but it really helped. She also told me not to fight against the pressure. I can't explain why that was a key phrase for me, but it was) and many words of encouragement. Having the perfect man by my side also helped a ton. When he told me "you're so strong" and "you can do this" I really believed him. His arms probably got tired since I couldn't let him off of back-rubbing duty, but he never complained.

I lost track of time after about 9:30, but pretty soon I was needing to push. I had to push through the last bit of cervix and then she was right there. The doctor got there as I was pushing. I think I pushed 5 or 6 times and he was there for the final three pushes. I remember being amazed when they said that I had just pushed her little head out and that on the next push I would have a baby! Sure enough, out she came into my arms. A perfect baby girl with a very cute cry. Tears were flowing all around. We are so in love with her. We're amazed by her head of dark hair since Tyler and I were both blonde and somewhat bald. She's also got an olive skin tone which is strange coming from her pale parents. We love having a baby in our home. I love thinking about her spirit and what she is like and who she will become. I am in awe of this whole process and of the trust that Heavenly Father places in us to raise His children and to return them Home to Him. I love that Tyler and I are in this together. He is such an amazing and thoughtful father. Oh, we are so blessed!

I am feeling really good. I was up and around right after she was born. I had two days where I was easily worn down, but today especially I am feeling fabulous! Ty has taken this whole week off and I have to say that I have the best husband. I really want the world to know just how great he is. I haven't had to worry about anything. Yesterday all of the laundry was done and the house has been regularly tidied up. I receive continuous reminders to not "be a hero" and take it easy as well as reminders to drink water. He even brings me water while I'm nursing. He has been amazing and I wish that he could ALWAYS be at home. I love being around him. He and Max have had a lot of fun bonding time as well and Max has been loving it. A favorite activity has been tower building. They also went to the park and ran errands the other day. I am going to love having these two little people! We went to Target today to get a few things and a lady asked me if I'm feeling overwhelmed since Max and Kelly are so close in age. I guess that I've had my moments where I am just nervous about being a great mom to two kids, but I don't feel stressed about the age thing at all. This is the way that we wanted it and I am sure that it will have its challenges, but I love that they are so close in age! He's had a few moments of jealousy (like he wants to be on my lap when I'm nursing Kelly) and a few fits, but mostly he loves to kiss her and see what she's doing. We love our little man...here are some pictures of him as well.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray for a new post! i keep checking! she is the cutest baby and i am so glad your deliery went well! i'll check back soon. :)

The Nicks Family said...

Sure you were going to get the pictures up last night, lol! Anyway, she is ADORABLE! I love those pictures, and man I wish I could see her in person and hold her. You are awesome and I am so happy that your delivery went so well. Such a precious little girl with a great big brother, love his pictures too. Give them both hugs and kisses from the Nicks family!

Kirsten said...

Way to go, Dana! Before I had Eli, my mantra was GIVE ME DRUGS! But after taking that hypnobirthing class and then doing the whole delivery thing w/o drugs totally changed me. It was such an amazing experience and it sounds like you had the same with your little woman! Awesome, awesome, awesome! It sounds like you did what I was taught in class instinctively.

Glad to hear that Max is doing well with his new sis. I am anxious/nervous to see how Eli will do with his little brother.

Glad to hear things are going so well. Love you to bits, little mamma!

Kristen said...

She is so cute. We need to talk. I am sure it is so nice to have Ty home. Sounds like everything was really smooth.
We can't wait to see her!

janet said...

OH MY GOODNESS! SHE IS SO CUTE! and it is surprising that she has so much dark hair and olive skin! Do you think she looks like Max as a baby? It's incredible the connection you feel even when they are so new and so tiny!

So, I must say-- YOU ARE A ROCK STAR and totally MY HERO! Great job on putting your mind to it and going natural! I want to be like you someday!

And secondly, you are going to be the best mom of two little ones. Don't you stress one tiny bit. You are the most capable and positive person. Just take it day by day. They are SO lucky to have each other and before you know it, you can't remember how you even functioned with only one!

Congrats on such a beautiful baby! I have been wanting to call you, but don't have your current # written down (and i don't want to go pull your Christmas card out of the box in the garage!) Will you email it to me when you have a minute? Can't wait to talk to you!

Lastly, your husband is truly incredible. He is such a good daddy and such a wonderful husband. I am SO happy for you and your family of FOUR!

okay.. that's all... for now! Have fun with your mom!

Carrie said...

All I can say is congratulations. This is such a precious, sweet time for your family. Enjoy the tender moments you have together.

And thanks so much for sharing your joy and DARLING pictures with us.

Emily Youngdell said...

She is SO adorable! Congrats on such an awesome delivery. I am so glad that you guys are doing so well.

Marleen said...

She is very pretty. Deliveries like that are wonderful. I'm glad it went so well for you. Two kids are an adjustment but very doable. I'm a little bit more nervous for a 3rd. If only I had an extra pair of arms.

campblondie said...

Good work! The hair is adorable. That's how Macy was tons of black hair and darker skin.
She is perfect! Congratulations. I am soooo glad things went well. Love you!

aa said...

Danalin,

Thank you for keeping me up to date with the Foster excitement! You truly are very blessed. I have to admit I only have a moment to read a few stories, they are so warming Danalin. I love all the pics, and I truly appreciate what your family brings to this world, keep those Fosters coming!!!! Love, April in New York!!!!!!!!!

Bonny said...

Kelly is so beautiful!! Congrats on the delivery - I'm so happy it was better for you this time around. You really are a trooper! Thanks for sharing your labor story. :)
Love you lady!

Anonymous said...

p.s. where are you guys living right now? washington??

Camille said...

What a cutie!!! I can't believe you did that natural. You are really amazing. Truly. Best of luck with 2! I can't even imagine, but I'm sure you are so awesome! I just think little Kelly is a doll!

Beth said...

Dana, I haven't had a whole lot of time lately to blog, so I am just now catching up. It was so fun to read that, and I wish I could talk to you! When I had Ella (#3) I had her without an epidural by a fluke, not really choice, but felt SO much better after because I didn't have any drugs in me. So, it was fun to read your accout of that! And, it always love to read what you have to say about Ty, because I feel the same about Garrett. The other day I was telling him that I just get so much happiness from our marriage. I can't imagine it any other way. I truly believe his goal everyday is to make me happy, and make my life easier for me. So, it is refreshing to hear you say such wonderful things about Ty. Ty rocks! And, Kelly is beautiful. Oh, one last thought. . . sorry! But, even though it is physical tiring sometimes having your kids close----I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it and would do it again. Good luck, and I can't wait to hear more!