Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oh, Maxwell T!

Today Max and I had a conversation about him not always living with us. For some reason he's been asking about that a lot lately - marriage, mission, etc. You know, life beyond our home. Here's how our conversation went:

Max: Mom, I'm not always going to live here, right?

Me: Right, bud.

Max: But where will I go?

Me: Well, you'll probably go to college first, then on a mission, then more college, then someday you'll get married and have a family and a home of your own, like me and Dad.

Max: (getting pretty sad about the whole situation) But who will be my parents?

Me: We'll always be your parents, bud. I'll always be your mom. (insert very grateful heart feeling here - I love that I'll forever be his mom) But trust me, you're going to want to move away from us someday. And you'll have roommates when you go to college...

Max: What are roommates?

Me: Well, they will be other guys about your age who are going to college too. You will just live together for a while; they'll be your friends. And on your mission you'll have companions (we talked about what a missionary companion is the other day). Then you'll get to choose your wife and have a family.

Max: Well, when I grow up I want my house to be a castle.

Me: Ahhh, well you'll have to marry a princess then.

Max: I know! (in an "of course, Mom, and I'm excited about that" kind of tone)

A few minutes went by. I could see the wheels turning so I knew he was thinking about our conversation. Pretty soon he looks up at me with sad eyes.

Max: (super sad voice, verge of tears) Mom, when will I go live with the mermaids?

It took a few minutes for my laughter to subside and then have enough of a conversation to figure out that he had confused roommates for mermaids. He's seen The Little Mermaid, so I can only imagine the picture that played out in his little mind. The question wouldn't have been quite as funny if he hadn't been so sincerely sad when he was asking it. Just the lingering chuckle I needed today. I NEVER want the little dude to grow up.

5 comments:

Beth said...

ADORABLE!!!! Because Quinn is our last, I feel all the time that I wish I could just freeze her in time. There is nothing like the sweetness of the little ones. And, I'm sending you an email. . . . .

Oh, and apples and nutella------totally considered healthy- you got the apple in the, and the nutella is just for happiness for you and your little guy!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness! That is the sweetest, saddest, most innocent thing ever! Sure wish I could have seen his sad little eyes in that moment.

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness, that was hilarious. After the family reunion Drew and I just kept saying how much we love Max. He is soooo stinkin cute.

Lynette said...

Hi there! Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I had so much fun shooting your sister's fam. I wish you lived closer too! Your little ones are adorable!

BTW, I saw you had a Ragnar blog??? Did you run the Ragnar? I just ran the Las Vegas one a couple weeks ago. SO MUCH FUN! Anyway...thanks again!

Shawna said...

Poor kid, trying to figure out how to live with mermaids. That's hilarious. What fun conversations you two have!