Thursday, December 18, 2008

S-C-H-O-O-L


I am a Ricks College non-grad. I went to Ricks for two years. I loved, loved, loved it. I, however, did not have a whole lot of direction in my mind as far as graduating or knowing what in the world I was doing. I signed up for classes and I went to classes and I got decent grades in my classes (mostly). However, after two years I was shy of meeting the criteria for graduation and I just left when everyone else was leaving. I have looked back on my decisions during that time with a lot of frustration and confusion. Why didn't I graduate?! What was I thinking?! It's always been a source of shame for me. I'm a really capable person who accomplishes a lot of things in life, but I've always felt a little "less-than" about not graduating.

I went home and worked for a while. I was kind of "waiting" for a missionary and for a while thought that marrying him would be my next big step. Then I decided to serve a mission (before he got home...not because it didn't work out, although it didn't work out either). Best year and a half of my life! I came home and went back to work. Then I almost moved to Provo, but didn't. I was really involved in my single's ward and dating and working for the next year. Then that fall (2004) I decided to enroll in some classes. I was super disappointed to find out that out of my 42 credits from Ricks only 16 would transfer. Lame. Just a week or so into school was fast Sunday. It was a normal fast Sunday and I didn't have anything particular in mind to fast about, but at the close of my fast I had a VERY strong impression that I needed to drop my classes. What?! I had no idea why and I struggled with it for a few days, but decided that I couldn't deny what I'd felt and I dropped the classes. About a week or two later I broke off a somewhat serious relationship. A few weeks after that I met Tyler and a few weeks after that I picked up and moved to Provo to be close to him (he was just a month shy of finishing his thesis for his masters degree, so he couldn't be the one to move) and he proposed the night after we moved my things to Orem. Heavenly Father knew what was coming...if I'd been in school I wouldn't have been able to move to Provo and have that very important time with Tyler before we were married 7 weeks later.

It's always been in the plans for me to go back to school. I want to finish my degree. My goal is to eventually get a masters degree and become a clinical social worker to work as a therapist for foster children...or some type of therapist. But there was the lameness with hardly any of my credits transferring and that has always frustrated me. So a year and a half ago I contacted BYU-Provo to see if a former Ricks student could do the online continuing education program. No such luck. HOWEVER, they told me that BYU-Idaho was working to get the same program off of the ground for former Ricks students. I put my name on the list and that was as far as things progressed for a while. Finally, in October of this year I received an e-mail saying that they were starting a pilot program in Winter 2009 and would be accepting 40 people to participate. I filled out my application, got my ecclesiastical endorsement (my Bishop joked with me about the importance of dressing modestly when I sit in front of the computer for my classes) and submitted everything just before Thanksgiving. Well...I was accepted and I start in February!!! I know that it is going to take me a long time to finish, but I am just so excited about being back in school. I am anxious for that type of learning environment and I am thrilled to be starting on a goal that I've had for quite some time. So even though my heart belongs to Ricks, my money will now go to BYU-Idaho.

11 comments:

val said...

you're awesome. do i say that at the beginning of every comment? well i mean it.
this is so cool. i'm kinda jealous. i miss school, a little. if money and time weren't an issue i might be a forever student.
good luck and if i hear of you sitting in front of the computer in a tube top...i'm telling!
loved hearing your story again. i'm so glad i was a part of your ricks experience and ooh, just typing that makes me a tiny bit sad that that part of our lives is over (not school but living in royal crest next door to you) :)

Ann said...

man, that's cool. I'm so happy for you.

Bonny said...

Congrats and good luck! That's wonderful news!

Ward & Brianne said...

Hey! I came across your blog in the craziest way - long story!! But I wanted to say HI! It's so fun to see your cute family - your kids are adorable! Looks like you are doing great! Ward & I are now BYU-Idaho grads. That is so exciting that you're doing the online pilot program! I look forward to keeping updated with your sweet little family through your blog!
Ward & Brianne McCombie

Beth said...

Good for you!!! I'm so excited for you! Just finished a marathon, going after your degree, you are crossing off all sorts of goals on your list! That is wonderful! And, LOVE the pictures of Kelly! She has so much personality! Adorable!

Stacy LeFevre said...

Good for You! I love online classes. It can definitely be a learning curve involved in that type of a class structure, but it is wonderful for busy moms!! Just take it a class at a time and you will get there before you know it. :)

campblondie said...

Sniff! I too get a tug at the ol heart strings hearing that story. I would love to be going back to school, is it like the Bachelor's in generals that BYU has or would you graduate in what you started at Ricks. Just wondering. Hopefully I won't be too far behind you, except my money will go to ASU.
I am so excited for you. Hey! Do you think what with us starting school again and all our husbands would let us be roomie's again. Talk to Tyler and get back to me.

Shawna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommy said...

Congrats! My mom is also going to school online and is really enjoying being a student again. That's awesome that you get to be in the pilot program and get a head start on everyone else! Study hard during naptimes!

Shawna said...

Thst's so awesome that you're going back to school! I understand your feelings of lameness. One day I hope to finish too. good luck!

Robyn said...

I'm so proud of you - in many ways. Who knew that the little girl who begged to go to girls' camp with us so many years ago would end up where you are, doing the things you are doing, etc. I know you'll graduate - and you'll probably RUN all the way to Ricks to walk in the graduation ceremony! Love ya! Happy New Year and best wishes on your studies!