Friday, September 19, 2008

"I'm just going to do a short 4-mile run today and I'll do the 11 miles tomorrow"

...a sentence I never imagined I would utter. It didn't strike me as weird until my mother-in-law (who is visiting - yea!) said with a laugh, "'Just' 4 miles?" My previous super weird and out of the ordinary is my new normal. Two weeks from tomorrow! (Half marathon in Leavenworth, for the non-regular readers) I'm excited. Actually, I'm excited for the half and the training has me even more excited about the full marathon I hope to do early next year. That's going to kick my booty. But I figure that even a year ago I never imagined myself running more than, like, 5 or 6 miles at a time. So I'm already defying my own expectations. It feels good. Got to get to bed for that 11.1 miler in the morn - my longest so far. And I bought new special running socks so that on this long run I don't end up with 6 blisters on my left foot and 4 blisters on my right. You heard me. And I'm talking gnarly blisters. They're gone but callouses are forming. I was told to not be surprised about losing toenails. Sweet. For the love of the run, I guess. And I think I can finally say that I love running! That was a goal for me.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

go dana! that is so great! i could have pretty much written this post. my half marathon is oct. 12th...getting closer.:) i could have NEVER imagined running more than 3 miles, and next week i have a 10 mile run! i am loving it too! can't wait to hear about your racE!:)

Anonymous said...

p.s. i love your new family pictures.:)

Mike and Heidi said...

What a great family picture! What was so funny? You all look great and your kiddos are growing up so fast! Good luck at your half marathon.

Kristen said...

Don't worry my toenails are almost looking normal again. It only took 4 months:)
You are going to do great! I wish I was there to cheer you on, or run it with you.

Bonny said...

Good luck with the run Dana! That's sounds fun!
I love your new family pictures - so cute!
I love your family!

Jen Hancock said...

Just 4 miles!? Wow, that is pretty hilarious! My comment lately is, I'm just going to do cardio today, and I'll do weights tomorrow.....just 4 miles.... maybe someday! Love the new family pics! Very cute!

mikeandemily77 said...

You're my hero! I just started running again and 2 miles make me weak, I can't even imagine what you are doing. You're great!

Marleen said...

You can do it. Run the marathon for all those that can't. I wish I could but don't want to end up in surgery. Those who can run are truly inspiring.

Emily Youngdell said...

Blisters and losing toenails... That is dedication! Good luck with your training. I love the new family picture. So cute!

campblondie said...

Sounds so fun! Good luck with the training, that is big time sista!

Unknown said...

First: I LOVE the new pictures!!!!
Second: When I grow up I want to be able to run a half a marathon like Dana!
Seriously, you are awesome and I really do hope to be running them with you someday, just not now! :)

Shawna said...

To love running...that is pretty impressive! I pretty much loathe it; very uncomfortable.
I think it's amazing how much you can run.

janet said...

Wow. The running is inspiring and the new family shots! Oh how adorable! You are one hot mama.. must be from all that running!

Jamie Claire said...

congrats on reaching the "I love running phase" and a bigger CONGRATULATIONS on the four& eleven miler! I am excited to see you adn your family pics are just adorable

Kirsten said...

Can I just say how much I love peeking into your life? You have such an adorable family (love the new family picture!). You are just so awesome and amazing. I really do want to be more like you when I grow up. Good luck with your race, Chiqua!

BTW, did you hear that Tina Zheleva from Wright got married?

Robyn said...

11 miles? I could do that in my sleep - you wimp! haha I'm so proud of your new athletic hobbies and slightly jealous, to tell you the truth! You're an inspiration girl!