Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Season of Firsts

We are staying home for the first time since we've been married (which will be 3 years on Dec. 28th!). I am super excited about this! This has brought about a lot of firsts. One of them being our first real Christmas tree.Our first year of marriage I felt like we still needed a Christmas tree even though we would be gone for the actual holiday...so we went to Wal-Mart and got ourselves an $18 fake Christmas tree and some bulbs and ribbon. Lovely. Last year we were actually gone the ENTIRE month of December so there were no decorations at all in our home. But THIS year we're sticking it out at home and so we've stepped it up on the home decor and I am LOVING it! Tyler thought for a minute that we would still be using that fake little tree we bought for our actual tree. He was, however, sorely mistaken. We were getting a real tree. He just had to be informed. :)
Our first little fake tree is now a really cute accessory tree all lit up and decorated pretty in the dining room - it is still serving a good purpose... So a few weeks ago we set out as it was starting to snow and bought ourselves a 6-foot Douglas Fir for $32. We do live in the Evergreen State where many of you folks have your trees imported from. Why would anyone go fake here?! I think that possibly next year - or the year after - when Max is older and will appreciate the experience more, we'll go to one of those places where you cut it down yourself.

Max bundled up, ready to find the perfect tree! Actually, he was really tired but we wanted to get the tree to start decorating while he was sleeping.
At the tree lot...you can't tell, but it was snowing pretty hard by now.
When we left our house 45 minutes earlier, it was slightly snowing but nothing had stuck. We live up on this ridge, though, and there was tons of snow when we returned! We have this ridiculously steep driveway that we couldn't even get up. Tyler had to shuttle us up to the house.
We got it home and cut the binding to see a beautiful, plump, amazing-smelling tree! I was so excited. The snow was coming down harder and harder (which, if you know anything about where we live, snow is not unheard of but it doesn't happen all that often and doesn't stick for very long). It was the absolute PERFECT day to be decorating for Christmas. Not a place to go and nothing to do but decorate for this fabulous season. I felt like the snow was our special gift! Max had fallen asleep on the way home from purchasing our tree, so he woke up to the furniture rearranged and our lovely tree in the family room. He just stared for a minute, taking it all in. We'd put a lot of the ornaments on while he was sleeping, but we kept several for him to put on. (Tyler and I both have the ornaments that were "ours" growing up. It is always so fun to look at them!) He loved it. We all did. Christmas music was playing, we turned on the fire, the garland and our new and old decorations all went up... it was the perfect day.

We are still adding to our decorations. Well, I am, anyway. There are a few that we got at Michael's that I need to paint. We couldn't find any stockings that we liked and so I decided to give it a go myself. If you knew my lack of skills you would find this laughable. I don't have a sewing machine yet, I had to buy scissors that would work on material, and it took two trips to the fabric store to get the correct measurements. But, I have to say that they are looking mighty good...considering!

Like I said, I am so excited about this Christmas and all of its "firsts". I love that I have my own little family to build traditions with!

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Listen, there is nothing wrong with the $18 tree from Walmart. It is not the accessory in our house, it is the main decoration as our house is not all that big:) Sounds like it has been fun with all your firsts.
Also, how did you get that background?

The Nicks Family said...

How fun! I love the tree, it is very pretty. I hope you guys have a great Christmas at home, we are looking forward to our own in our own place as well, it has been a while. I am looking forward to seeing you. When is it that you are coming?? I forgot, sorry. Love ya! You are a cute mom and wife!

Camille said...

Brrr!!! Looks cold, but sooo beautiful. How fun for you guys to enjoy the holiday with your cute little family.

Kirsten said...

What a perfect day! How is Max doing with the ornaments on the tree? I only decorated our tree on the top half because we don't have any child safe ornaments (yes, it does look a little silly). He loves putting his toys on the tree and playing with them. The other day he started trying to bite the lights when they were turned on. I am not a fan of that idea!

We are staying home for Christmas this year too (much to my MIL's dismay!) Now that Eli is older, I want to start our own traditions too and be at our home for the special day.

We have had more snow than usual here, too. And it is still on the ground, which is also unusual. It does make things feel a bit more festive, but it does make our walks feel a bit chillier!

Love ya!

campblondie said...

How fun and Christmasy! Our favorite Christmasssssss have been when we have stayed at home. We really made our own traditions those years and the kids LOVE them.

val said...

Horray for your first real Christmas tree. They are the best! Good luck on your stockings. You are a brave woman. I bought some last year after Christmas for $1.25each. I bought 8 of them so I guess that means we can have six kids...or we'll have four kids, one for our future golden retreiver and one for the future foreign exchange student....or...whatever.
I can feel the Christmas spirit coming from your festive house even so far away!!

Marleen said...

Christmas is the best for warm fuzzy feelings. The tree looks grand. I love the smell of real trees. Looks like you had a made a perfect Christmas memory.

rachel said...

I love your tree. How fun to have a real Christmas tree. Ours is nice and fake so I buy a real wreath every year to make it smell real. You look amazing by the way. What a babe.

Emily Youngdell said...

Gorgeous tree! We went and cut one down and it looked really pretty out in the forest but now that it's in our living room it's not so pretty...oh well, great memories are better than a pretty tree, right?
You are one adventurous lady making your stockings! I bet they are adorable. I really want to make all of us stockings next year, let's see if that happens.. I hope you guys have a wonderul first Christmas at home!

janet said...

Yes... you live in the Evergreen state and it only makes sense to have a REAL tree! It looks like it smells great. Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas at home together. I am sure you will... Ty is very entertaining, and Max is the CUTEST! Love you!

I want to know when you're coming to Vegas too! Can't wait to see your tummy. You ARE a total babe!