Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Loves of My Life


Oh my! It doesn't get any better than this! I have the two most wonderful men in my life and have embarked on the greatest adventure and calling that I will ever have. I love it, I love it, I love it!

Things are going really, really well. I have been so thankful and amazed at how smooth the transition to motherhood has been. I am especially amazed at how quickly I wake up to tend to him at night and how little sleep I am able to function on. Nursing has been exceptionally easy...I had a half of a day where I was a little sore (engorged possibly) while Margaret was here. I made the comment that I shouldn't complain too much because it had been so easy so far and Margaret quickly - and jokingly - agreed that I deserved to have a little discomfort. But maybe that's what 45 hours of labor buys you! :) Max and I are still learning about each other and his little personality is constantly evolving. I don't know if I do everything right, but it seems to work out and he seems to be thriving. I am also amazed at how quickly I am able to pick up on his little nuances - he likes to be gently bounced on your chest to be put to sleep while you "shh..shh...shh" quietly in his ear. That's during the day, after he has been awake for an hour or so. At night he puts himself to sleep and it's hard to keep him up to eat.

Anyway, the point is that I am in awe of this whole experience. I love Maxwell more than I ever knew that I would or could. I am so excited for the coming months and years! Like Mickey said on Angie's blog, everything is exciting because we're dealing with all of the 'firsts'.

And a comment on the love that I have for Max's dad...the labor & delivery, and now the raising of our son, has shown me a new side of the man that I already loved so much! He is so attentive and kind and compassionate. He was perfect during the whole hospital experience. And he has been such a great dad here at home! I feel like he is a complete partner and is very aware and grateful for all that I do. Max and I are so excited when he gets home every day. He helps me to be a better mom. Our love and relationship has reached a totally new and wonderful level. I am one lucky woman! I'm already looking ahead to the next little person and am excited to bring him or her into this great little family!

Thanks for all of the phone calls and support we have received from you all! Max is excited to meet everyone - Mickey, Adam and Megan will be new faces in just a week's time and then the rest of you mid-July! We love you.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Little Max is a cutie. Good work, Dana and Ty! Sounds like the transition to Mommy is going great for you. Can't wait to see you in July!

Tankfos said...

Max is a good looking man. Now see what you can do about your husband.

Ad

ps-Nothing better than a totally unprovoked insult.

Wendi said...

Ad -- that is what we call the Pre-emptive Strike. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to dive behind a wall to shelter myself from the coming flame-war. ;-)

Dana -- many congrats to you and Ty; I'm so happy for both of you (and baby Max too of course). I look forward to reading more of your posts!