Friday, June 02, 2006

9lbs 1oz


That's right, folks! In a week and a half our son has gained more than one pound. If you'll recall, on May 22nd he was a measly 7lbs 6oz. He jumped from the 16th to the 41st percentile for weight gain. :) I was in shock, but oh so proud of my son and of myself. We are apparantly a great team! He is a happy, healthy, beautiful little man.

On the subject of happy...we have a very smiley son. Most of the smiles are when he is coming in and out of sleep. Our parents have seen a few awake smiles as well. But today I think that I got a glimpse of the first interactive smile. He had been awake for a while at his appointment and was still alert when we got home. I was talking to him and smiling as I was getting him out of his seat. He was looking at my face and when I gave him a big smile, I received one in return! I thought it may be a fluke, so I talked for a little longer and tried again...with the same result. I gave it a rest for a bit and then tried one more time and received the biggest smile in return! After that he let me know that it was time to eat, which brings out a very serious and focused side of Maxwell. :) I think that maybe it was just him trying to mimic his mom; I've read that babies at this age do that. Whatever the cause, it was so wonderful! I am excited for all of the levels of interaction that lie ahead. Now we just need Max to show his dad this new trick!

That's all for today, from this mom of a 9 pounder! He can gain all of the weight that he wants to now that he's out in the world. :)

6 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

Sorry i screwed up on my last post. well i am just too excitied to see you and your new son. he could be my favorite nephew (in fact i am sure of it) tell Max that we will be doing some serious bonding when i am there and he will soon find out that i am his favorite aunt!

Mark said...

A nine pounder already! The little man is really growing. Good work!

Wendi said...

Awesome progress...I mean, newborn babies gaining weight and learning to smile -- what could be better news to new parents and their families? :-)

Sounds as though you're both doing a wondeful job with Max, Ty and Dana. I can't wait to see what the lil' bruiser is like once you all get into Denver this July!

Elizabeth said...

What a cute baby boy! Congratulations. Sounds like the your family is doing remarkably well! We look forward to seeing Max in person.

Mark said...

I will have to attest to the cuteness of this little guy. After seeing him and holding him and listening to his contented grunts as he sleeps, I am amazed at little people more and more and how precious they are. However, I am concerned about the weight gain. I have run it through the computer and at this rate of gain, Max will weigh 250 Lbs by the time he is 6 months old. Dana and Ty beware that buying him clothes is a waste of time as he will be out of them in a week. (he does look good in them for that week however)

Love,
Dad