Monday, November 08, 2010

Streeeetch!

Just after we decided that Tyler would do three classes this semester, we had a talk about "circling the wagons" and keeping our little bit of family time sacred. We've never been busier and, while it's mostly gone smoothly, sometimes it is really draining. Ty gets pretty down when he doesn't see the kids for three days straight. I can get overwhelmed when I am the sole question-answerer, food-provider, put-to-bedder, entertainer for three days straight.


Tyler was saying the other day that we're lucky we had such a huge emotional bank account to start off with since we've only been able to make withdrawals for the past few months. But the account is depleting and we both feel it. And there just isn't time to make the kind of deposits we're used to. Thank goodness for his 9/80 schedule...those three day weekends are lifesavers...or emotional bank account savers.

*Side story: I love Tyler's analogies. I remember the first time I heard him teach. We met online, remember, and he came to Vegas to meet me on a (very magical) Wednesday. That Friday I drove to Provo to see him again and to meet his parents, brother, and sister. I went to Church with him and he was a Sunday School teacher. I LOVED his lesson. I loved how he taught things in a way that was easy to understand. He is a big user of parables and analogies. I was already smitten, but that Sunday School lesson took it to another level.*

Well, I think that the Lord takes opportunities like this to stretch and teach us. In many ways. One was in the form of a new calling for Ty this weekend. He's been called to be the Young Men's President. The Bishop was aware of our situation, so before he 'officially' extended the call, he came and talked to us about it. While it is going to be a stretch (he can't even attend the weekly activities until January because of classes and then a trip to Vegas we have planned) with good men serving with him, I know that he is going to be able to pull it off and do very well. In Tyler's setting apart he was told that he likely was given this calling at this particular time so that he would learn to delegate, as that will be important in future callings he will have. He was given some other wonderful promises as well.

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33) I have seen that in my life over and over again; God takes care of us and makes our load lighter when we put Him first. I think that we are going to be surprised at how well things fall into place and the time that we have together will not seem so depleted. I am so thankful for opportunities to grow and to serve - because we all know this isn't a calling just for my sweet husby; for him to serve well I've got to serve well here at home. I'm getting pretty good at it. :)

6 comments:

Brenda said...

He will do wonderful, Danalyn. The young men couldn't be more fortunate in having such a wonderful leader and role model. We love you and your fam!

Madsen Family said...

i echo your friend--tyler will be great. and i can appreciate that it will be a stretch for you--i'm not going to lie to you: ym pres. is a big job. but when josh is gone for the fourth night in a row, working with the youth, i just remember that we covenant to consecrate all we have--even our own hubbys. i also remember that he can't be ym pres. forever. and i also appreciate that it could be much worse (like bishop!). i know ty will do a great job and i know you'll do a great job at home (why wouldn't you?) and sometimes it will be hard but you will be blessed. i wish i could be there to take your kids for you, so you guys could have some date nights. good luck with everything!

val said...

um, we're twins.
i could have written this post a year ago. even tho it seems like SO much sometimes it really has been great.
he'll be awesome! and you are awesome.

cindy said...

Dana! I stumbled across your blog---a link of a link of a link--it is so cute! Just wanted to tell you how excited we were when they said Tyler's name on Sunday to be YM president---those boys are so lucky, it is inspired. Hang in there with all this busy-ness in your life, it really really is just a short season. We love your family!

(oh, this is Cindy Redd, by the way)

J.D. and Gina said...

Dana, I love you lady. Amen to what Jessy said. Just remember that the Lord has many blessing to give to the wives of these great men who are called to big (time consuming) callings. Your positive outlook to everything that comes your way is inpsiring and makes me want to be better. Your family is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

janet said...

I thought I already commented on this, but I guess not. He will do excellent and you BOTH can totally do this. The youth in your ward are very lucky! Love the analogy too!