Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Flying Solo(ish)

My mother-in-law left today and I shed many a tear. I know (Janet), I've been totally spoiled. I had my mom for a week and my mother-in-law for 6 days. I've only had a few days since Everett was born that I've had to get up with my kids in the morning. I hardly know what's in my fridge because meals have been taken care of. Kelly got a yeast infection just before Everett was born and every once in a while I would remember to ask my mom how it was looking because I wasn't changing the little lady's diaper. I haven't done laundry or cleaned a bathroom in two weeks...yet the laundry is done and the bathrooms are shiny. I even have clean sheets to crawl between tonight. Tonight Ty saw that the movie Brother Bear was recorded on the DVR and he asked me if it was a good movie. Ummm...you think I've associated much with our two other kids these past few weeks? My mom recorded and watched it with them. I must have been sleeping or taking a really long shower or something. I can't remember. But rest assured it was relaxing/rejuvenating...whatever it was. THANK YOU to Margaret for so much help and for being so fun to hang out with. She spent hours on the floor with Max going through his big bin of army guys and having battles. She brought some very cool costumes for the kids and read to them in the wee hours of the morning so I could sleep. I never worried about meals or entertainment for the kids. It was a perfect visit and I am so, so grateful that she came! We miss her like crazy. I am so, so lucky to have such a wonderful mother-in-law.
Now I get Ty home for a while! He usually takes off of work right after the baby is born and then the moms come. However, since Everett delayed his appearance and plane tickets were already bought, he's taking the time off now. It's going to be SO nice to have time as our little family and to have Ty to ourselves for a while. We need it. Here are some shots of my boys "watching" the superbowl together...I love these men and kind of like that Kelly and I are outnumbered.
Everett gets bigger every day. Really, like I wake up each morning and feel like he's grown overnight. His cheeks are filling out, his eyes are getting more round, his eyelashes are already looking luscious. I am anxious to see at his appt. today how much he weighs. He is our best baby yet. Not that we've had a difficult baby, but he is the easiest of the three. That could change, the boy will be just two weeks tomorrow, but for now we're feeling grateful that our third is so chill. And cute. Boy do we think he's cute. I don't think I mentioned before, but he has HUGE hands and feet. We might get a tall one after all. Ty tells me that I'm bringing down the average (height) for the fam...but Everett may just prove him wrong. He is named after his Papa Mick who is 6'5"; maybe that had something to do with it? That is, if he does turn out to be a tall one. Time will tell.
Max and Kelly LOVE to kiss and hold our little babe. Although there have been some meltdowns, we've had a really good and easy adjustment, I think. We are working on them refraining from kissing Everett a million times while he's asleep on the couch since it wakes the little dude up. Still, too many kisses is better than the alternative.
Photo by Kelly
So I guess I'm not really flying solo since Ty is going to be home...but we're flying solo as a family. No more motherly help. I'm the only momma in the house now. But I think I'm going to rock this three kid business. :) I'll report on that in a few weeks.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for my Foster kid fix! Everett is getting bigger already and OH SO VERY CUTE!! I am glad you got so much help and that Ty gets to be home! I love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

i always love your posts dana! and i was hoping there would be a new one soon.:) love the new pictures of everett. he IS cute.:) and it sounds like you are one lucky lady with such a great mom and mother in law for help. you are going to be an awesome mother of three! i know it! can't wait for more updates! :)

janet said...

I must have really complained after having baby #4! I am so glad for you and that Ty can be home. I will call you next week when you really are SOLO! Love you!

The Nicks Family said...

Well I am jealous of all your help ;) but so glad you have it! Love the pictures and can't wait until June when I get to hold that baby!! Enjoy the time as a family!!!

The Nicks Family said...

Oh and I like being out numbered too! :)

Angie H said...

Ha ha, I've totally been accused of bringing down the average height in our house, too! That's why we were both smart and married tall, good-looking guys, right? :) My kids do need some help from the other side on that one! He's adorable; enjoy your family time.

Robyn said...

He is absolutely adorable! Congrats on another job well done - you guys make cute babies!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Shawna said...

He is so sweet. Making me baby hungry. :) I love those little squishy new baby faces. Yum!
I'm glad you had such a smooth intro into mommy-of-three-hood!