Wednesday, July 09, 2008

InCrEdIbLe!

I think I've recovered. My 8 or so loads of laundry are done, the ironing is finished, my cupboards and fridge are full and I feel somewhat caught up on sleep. BUT I feel forever changed by the experience. I love road trips, I love having Ty to ourselves for extended periods of time and I love nature; this was really my perfect vacation! That's not to say that there wasn't some drama - Kelly screaming because she's SO done being strapped in her car seat, me being snappy and then crying because I'm SO done with not being able to stay clean for more than 20 minutes, Max bleeding because he keeps falling down on hard surfaces because we were always on hard surfaces, mosquito bites and Ty’s sun burn...to name the most memorable. All family vacations need a flair of the dramatic, right? We drove a total of 2,942 miles and camped in a tent a total of 9 nights. We had some reprieve from camping in Chico, CA, visiting Ty's aunt and uncle and then our last night was spent in a super nice hotel suite that I feel like we totally deserved after so many nights in nature! :) Now it’s back to reality…good thing “reality” isn’t so bad either.

Mount St. HelensOur first night we drove just 2 1/2 hours to our campsite near Mount St. Helens. I wasn't prepared for how amazing Mount St. Helens would be! It is massive and the destruction from the 1980 eruption is still so obvious in the landscape for miles surrounding the volcano. I just didn't realize how many people and how big of an area were affected by its eruption. Our campsite was so beautiful there...we loved it and were surprised by how impressive the whole experience was.

Chico, California - Uncle Jim & Aunt SallyIt was so nice to shower and sleep in such a comfortable bed. Jim and Sally know how to treat their guests. Max and Ty went swimming, we were treated to a delicious dinner and dessert and it was so fun to hang out and visit with them and their son Alex who is home for the summer from college. We contemplated staying an extra night, but decided we'd better not so that we could spend as much time as possible in...

Yosemite!Wowzah! That's all I can say. Okay, it's not all I can say. If we were surprised by the beauty and breadth of Mount St. Helens, it was NOTHING compared to our feelings about Yosemite. Tyler and I just kept saying to each other, "This is BEAUTIFUL!" "Isn't this incredible?" "Oh wow!" "Can you believe this place?!" Our only regret is that we didn't have more time there. We'll go back again someday.








Oceanside, CA - Mann Clan Reunion!
11 adults, 12 kids ages 5 and under, 4 campsites, 6 te
nts, a few days at the beach, the San Diego Zoo, a visit from the candy fairy....a whole lotta fun! The cousins all played really, really well together. Nate and Jenn stuck it out through 3 of their 4 kids getting the flu (which amazingly passed to no one else in the fam) and we all just really enjoyed our time together. Can't wait for next year - especially since I won't be planning it. :)

At the campground....



9 1/2 hours at the San Diego Zoo (few naps and zero meltdowns by kids OR adults...amazing!)








Harbor View BeachPerfect, slightly overcast (read: surprisingly nice and cool) day at the beach in Oceanside!


Like I said, the perfect vacation! Too bad our kiddos won't remember a lick of it. We'll show them the pictures. :)

13 comments:

janet said...

YOU are the WOMANN! What a trip! It is so not easy traveling with little ones, but you ALWAYS have the best attitude about everything, so I am not surprised to hear that it was a perfect trip!

Love the Mann clan picture on the beach! You are amazing planning the whole thing and making it happen. I need to get my family to do that! Love you and so glad to hear you're back safe and sound!

Marleen said...

I love that beach picture with all the Mann family. So cool. It is so good to see Jen and Nate. Their kids are so cute. All of you look great and love to see how much your family has grown.

Kirsten said...

What a fun and exhausting trip! You have some great pics! I love the one of the three little bums squatting by the ocean! Classic. I think I would have needed some serious tranquilizer (and so would my kids) being in the car for that long. I don't do well with whining and screaming in such an enclosed space.

You look fantastic and your kids are so dang adorable!

Stacy LeFevre said...

Hello Fosters! I ran across your blog awhile ago, and thought it was high time I told you how awesome you are! I love reading about how you and your family are doing. Sounds like your vacation was amazing! Check us out at thefevs.blogspot.com

campblondie said...

Holy schnikees! What a fun vaca! Glad you're back, I was beginning to wonder.

Madsen Family said...

Okay Dana...it's official: you are one brave mama. I love that you went camping for 9 nights with your little ones. AND that you enjoyed it. I need to take a page out of your book and be more adventerous! It looks like fun was had by all. I am jealous that you were with fam. I can't wait 'til I see my fam again for our family vacation!!

Emily Youngdell said...

9 nights in a tent?! Holy cow, I do one night with all of my kids and I am done. Are you completely exhausted?
It was so fun to see pictures of all of your family together. I can't believe how old Mack is! He looks so grown up. I'm glad you guys had such a great time.

Dad said...

Wow!! What a trip. I didn't realize how much traveling you guys would be doing in a car. Brings back memories of our early trips between Missouri and Arizona with 6 kids under 10!! Great memories.

What a great time for all to get together. I'm sure everyone really enjoyed just being together and there is hardly a better place on the planet world to be with family than San Diego.

This summer has really been a load for you guys. You had better slow down for the rest of the summer.

Loved all the pictures. You win the Blogger of the year award Dana.

I want a job like Ty that gets as much vacation!!

Love you guys,
Mickey

The Nicks Family said...

It was SO good to see you and your cute family! To be able to hold sweet Kelly and get to know Max that much better. I love the other pictures, such beautiful places!! Love ya girl and I can't wait until November!!

Kristen said...

Wow! That's all I can say to all of it.

Beth said...

WOW!!! I think that pretty much tops any adventure vacation someone could plan! I cannot even imagine trying to survive with our whole family in one tent, only because we still have a baby. You did it! You rock! And, you loved it!! Amazing! What a fun, fun trip for you guys!

Ab-Normal said...

Thanks Dana- your a peach! I totally remember when you and Adri came and visited. Good times! :) I'm glad you and your fam had a great vacation! Sounds like too much fun! :)

Unknown said...

It was so so so so so so (my so's could go on much longer) MUCH FUN! I miss you like crazy already! Thank you for planning an amazing reunion, you guys are the BEST! Love ya forever!