Monday, January 28, 2008

Is it time?


Big shocker for us...last night I had an hour and a half of pretty hard, regular contractions. This sounds gross, but I really thought it was just gas for the first half hour. I was uncomfortable, but it didn't feel like contractions to me. Every few minutes, though, I would have an intense pain and make a gasping noise and start to breathe slowly through my mouth. Ty kept asking, "Are you sure you're not having contractions?" I responded that that was ridiculous, but then after a little while they got worse and felt a lot more like I remember them feeling. Definitely contractions. Full-tummy contractions now. I couldn't talk through them and they were coming about every 2-5 minutes. I'm just over 35 weeks. I didn't have a hospital bag packed, I still had some presents in bags, the car seat and bathtub and all of the things that I was planning to do this week weren't done/ready...I hadn't packed a bag or firmed up any arrangements for Max. I haven't even made her bows for goodness' sake! I was freaking out a little. We called Labor & Delivery and they wanted us to come in. I didn't want to but figured I'd better. My sweet husband was rushing around trying to get things into a bag for me - which one is the nursing bra??? I took a shower first and then laid down for a bit when the contractions finally began to subside. I don't know if they would try to stop my contractions at this stage or what? But it worries me that Kelly's lungs and little body wouldn't be ready for life outside of the womb just yet. I was very glad when they were subsiding. I had Ty call L&D back and tell them that we weren't coming in after all. We had a restful night's sleep (except that this all stopped at about 12:30 and Ty had to be up at 5:30). Today I've been getting everything together so that if things start up again I won't be so stressed out about it and I can feel like everything will be fine. I've had some contractions off and on today, but nowhere near the intensity of last night. Maybe I won't be needing the advice of how to get her here a little early - maybe now I need to know what to do to keep her in place for a few more weeks! Anyway, a little surprise for us and an update for you all...I know that everything is in the Lord's hands and that He is aware and watching over us. I feel like last night was a warning that I'd better get my act together and be ready for this baby. It wasn't just the physical aspect of not being prepared, I feel like I need to be more emotionally and spiritually prepared for what is about to take place. I am grateful that I have some time still to do that.

9 comments:

Madsen Family said...

Dana--Scary and exciting all at the same time! Scary because I would feel the same way if I were you--no bag packed for me and no nursery set up, etc., etc. (Plus, my shower is this weekend so I have been waiting to see what I got so I'll know what I will still need)....Exciting because we are getting SO CLOSE! But, we'll hope for a few more weeks for both of us...(I have a feeling that for me, I will be late since it's my first). Maybe we will have our babies on the same day, and that will just solidify the fact that they are MFEO (made for each other:)! Good luck getting ready...

Bonny said...

WOW!! That really sounded like it was "time". But I'm glad that you can now get everything organized and in order because I know how much you like to be organized and have everything in order!! :)
I'm really really really excited for you! I'm so glad you are doing the #2 baby before me so I can pick your brain and get all the inside scoop and tips of being a new mommy of 2.
Love you lady!!

campblondie said...

Good for you for planning to go in though. I waited to long with Tess thinking it wasn't time. (she was 15 days early) We seriously almost delivered in the car because I didn't want to go in. We made it to the hospital with 25 minutes to spare. Keep listening to that body (and husband). I am sooooo excited for you!

Emily Youngdell said...

Wow, that must have been a surprise. I really am so excited for you. I hope that Kelly stays in just a bit longer for your sake though. Good luck with getting everything together. I loved getting the nursery together and putting all of the little clothes in the drawers,etc. I think that's when I finally realized that I was really going to be bringing home a baby! Love ya, I'll be thinking of you.

janet said...

It was just a practice drill and you passed.. with flying colors! I loved picturing Ty running around worrying about which bra to take. So cute! keep her in there for a couple more weeks... they are so much easier to take care of! This is all so EXCITING though! Keep the updates coming!

ps. I just found your shower card in my car.. oops. I will send it in the mail today.

Kirsten said...

Scary beans! Keep that little bun in the over at least one or two more weeks! Eli was born three weeks early, but I had three weeks of bedrest before that (and four after) to get me prepared for everything. And with Eli, after my water broke, I took my sweet time getting ready and took a shower...I don't think we will do any waiting with #2 because he came SO quickly! No car or home deliveries for me, thank you!

Seriously, your little woman will have a much better time if you can talk her into finish baking for a couple more weeks--not just the lungs, but allergies, reflux, and some other stuff that I never would have thought of.

Your trip looked so much fun! I can't believe they let you fly being nearly ready to pop! I wish we would have been able to stay a few days longer so I could have seen you and gone to your shower! Eli and Max would love each other.

Marleen said...

Sounds like the Lord is preparing you. It will be interesting what you find out at your next doctors visit.

Sandy said...

Reading this totally brought back memories of when I had Daniel (my 2nd) I remember having contractions and thinking is this it or not? Tyson was still at school and my mom suggested I call the Dr since I knew I was already a 4....they said go to the hospital and I was thinking but I need to finish the laundry and vacuum and stuff! Anyways, SO exciting!!! I'm excited for you guys!

Angie H said...

I had Drew at 35 weeks and I WISH I could have held it off, so I'm so glad Kelly didn't come early. Those last few weeks are so good for the baby, so Someone is definitely watching over you. Love ya and good luck!