Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Pregnant Triathlete

Once again, a look at Lake Chelan where we'll be doing our triathlon this weekend. I'm sure we'll be having as much fun as those people frolicking on the beach.... :)
I don't have a picture of myself running across the finish line, but I found one of a lady who most resembles me. Minus the tan, six pack, long brown hair...haha! I think I'm so funny.

So...I waffled.

After our first triathlon in June, Tyler and I were both pretty pumped and anxious to do another. We were trying for a babe at the time, but didn't know when that was going to happen so we signed up to do a second tri. Now I am nearly 8 weeks pregnant, not feeling so well, and the prospect of running a triathlon this weekend really doesn't sound so appealing. So much so that last week I was not going to do it. I had totally signed off mentally and decided it was a no-go for me. I wasn't feeling well, we didn't have a babysitter for Max and we haven't done much (okay, hardly any!) training this time. I felt totally justified in my decision, which was backed up by my supportive husband.

But then yesterday I got on-line to see about getting refunded. I saw in big, bold letters the words "NO REFUNDS". Hmmph. Then I started looking around the site and looking at the course maps and the pictures of all of the smiling triathletes. I went back in my mind to last month when I crossed the finish line and hadn't died. I felt SO good about myself. So hard-core! So now I am thinking, "How much more hard-core will I feel if I complete a tri while I am pregnant and feeling not-so-hot?!" I am sure there are many, many women out there who are much more hard-core than me and they probably compete in marathons and triathlons much further into their pregnancies. I may not be as cool as them, but at least now I can claim to be in the same group. Even if it's the bottom of that group. Like, the very bottom.

I got off the computer, picked up the phone and called our favorite babysitter, Amberlie. I made the trip to Chelan (about 3 hours away) sound really fun and exciting! I told her she could bring a friend and we would take them to dinner and go swimming in the beautiful lake and then pay them for watching Max while we do our thing. I must be a great saleswoman because she said, "That sounds really fun!" She talked to her parents, decided to bring her sister and called me back to say yes. So then I left a message for Ty at work that I had a surprise for him. He was pretty excited too! I'm mentally back in the game. I am really excited to compete. I have go-aheads from 3 doctors (my bro-in-law Mark included). My OB told me that he just wants me to slow down to a brisk walk for part of the run. Everything else should be fine.

On Monday I leave for Girl's Camp (my wonderful mother-in-law is coming to watch Max while I'm away. This will be my first time being away from him for more than a date with Tyler - any words of emotional support to that end would be appreciated!) Then that Saturday, a week after the triathlon, I will be running a 4-mile race for our local Whaling Days with a few friends. Luckily they say that they are slow runners since I'll be needing to do some "brisk walking".

Bring it on! And I know fully that I am saying that to the pain and discomfort as well as the feelings of accomplishment and euphoria that come from doing something hard. Wish me luck!

17 comments:

campblondie said...

Good luck! Sounds so fun. I settle for just going to Lake Chelan, I love it there! Go for it you
He-Woman you!

Tankfos said...

DANA,DANA,DANA!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, I am sure you are going to do great, but this time go easy on Ty. He is older than you are! :)

AD

Emily Youngdell said...

Dana~
I must say you are indeed a motivated woman. When I am pregnant it takes everything out of me just to get off of the couch and try to function. Good luck! I know that you guys will do great.

janet said...

You go girl! You are so inspiring! If only I could do that when I am NOT sick and pregnant. Good luck to you! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Kristen said...

You are awesome, and are going to do great! And Adam was right just take it easy on Ty, only beat by like five minutes ok:)

Kirsten said...

Wow! You are an Iron Woman in my book! You will be so proud of yourself for doing it!

My deepest condolences and sympathetic-firstborn withdrawls for your upcoming separation from your little man. I still haven't made it more than a few hours without my munchkin.

And CONGRATS on your little speck of joy. Your little speck will soon be a warm, snuggly little bundle of joy. I hope you get a labor like mine on your #2. All I know is that if my labor is cut in half, we might not make it to the hospital on time!

Love you to bits woman!!!

rachel said...

You are awesome. I hope you do it and you have a blast. Can't wait to hear.

Bonny said...

You are the woman Dana!! I am so imprest!! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck lady - I'll be cheering for you!
Love ya!

Wendi said...

"You are FAR braver than I, Gunga Din!" :-)

If you're ready for it, I say go for it lady -- the little speck will be fine, and it's be great for you to get some heavy activity in while you can still enjoy it. Have fun and take pics!

PS: Sorry you'll be separated from your little guy for a while, but I know you'll both make it through just fine. :-)

Angie said...

Wa-hoo! That's pretty amazing. If you're feeling up to it, you should definitely do it. Good luck and let us know how it goes! You'll be great!

Elizabeth said...

Dana, Being a tri-athlete is an accomplishment by itself. Being a pregnant tri-athlete is another story. How did you do it? Most impressive!

Ann said...

Dana!

Props to you. You will love it and be able to brag about it forever--and be justified! I can't wait to see how it goes. I ran my first marathon last year and loved that, and I would love to be in a triathalon, but I can't swim worth a crap. I mean I can totally swim, but not the real way where you keep your face in the water and come up for breaths. do you know what I mean? You'll have to let me know if you see any swimmers who look totally spastic and keep their faces out of the water the whole time...Anyway, you'll do great! And I'm sure you've already heard that exercising during pregnancy has been known to make labor easier. What a bonus!

nickel... said...

Holy Smokes! You are very cool in my book!

I am so impressed at your ambition and excitement!

I'll be waiting to hear all about how it went!

Mom the Bomb said...

Love you Danalin!

This is Us said...

Hi! I hope you see this since I know this is an older post. I just came across your site a couple days ago when I googled if it was safe to do a triathlon while pregnant (we found out a week ago we're expecting our second). Wow, what an inspiration you are! You are gorgeous and fit, and you are the example of what I aspire to be physically for God, for my husband, for my daughter (and 2nd baby), for myself, for others. I will be competing in my first triathlon (an indoor one) on Feb. 7 (I did a beginner triathlon in October, but the distances were so short compared to this one). I am psyched, and I want to continue to get fit and do more triathlons, etc. I couldn't figure out a way to email you, so I thought I'd leave a comment here hoping you'd see it. So you live in Washington? I lived from age 10-20 in Eastern Washington, and we currently live in the Boise, Idaho area. Blessings, and please jot me a note if you have any tips or encouragement! Thanks for blogging all this! It's so great for me, and I'm sure so many others.
jessysunshine@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I over warm-hearted post. Expressly the designation attracted me to study the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.