Monday, April 30, 2007

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....


We're hoping we have a little bit of Mary's luck with our very first garden!
(However, we would prefer vegetables over silver bells and cockle-shells)


This is something we've been excited about since we first bought our house...growing our very own vegetables! We've planted yellow squash, peas, onions, tomatoes ("big beef" and cherry), jalapeno peppers, bell peppers and cucumbers. Now we're hoping that Washington gets enough sunshine to help these little seeds fill the measure of their creation -getting enough rain isn't really an issue!
















We planted on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon I found Tyler out back looking at where we had planted our little seeds. He was disappointed not to see anything sprouting up and declared our vegetables doomed to failure. He was joking, of course, but I made him pray for our vegetables last night anyway and I won't let him say anything negative about our garden. :)

Here are a few shots of our front yard. The backyard still needs a lot of work, but we love the front! It's been fun to see what's sprouted up this spring since there has been a lot of planting that has gone on before us. We've ripped out a few things, but really love most of it. The only thing I really want to add (besides the vegetable garden) are some tulips.



Some pretty trees in the backyard....a blossoming cherry tree and some other nice tree with obnoxious roots :)

Keep on the lookout for pictures to be posted soon of our abundant vegetable garden!

3 comments:

val said...

I too am so looking forward to the day when we can grow our own garden. I love fresh veggies and the accomplishment you feel when they've come out of your own yard. Can't wait to watch your garden grow through your blog!

Goose said...

I love a good a garden and there is nothing more inspiring to me than pretty flowers. The pictures look great, but the real value of plants is the smell. I'm sure that they smell great. We don't have a front yard or a back yard, but if we did I;m sure that we would grow something. Instead, all we is a bed of cement and a nice welcome mat! Looks great guys, and don't worry I feel no envy towards you.

Wendi said...

Having a garden is one of the major perks of owning a home (or so I would imagine anyway). Should I ever find myself a homeowner I definitely plan to do some diggin' in the dirt; until then, a container garden on the balcony of my new apartment will have to suffice. Good luck with it, and keep us posted!