Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring Break 2013!

Man, Spring Break was...

What's the word I'm looking for?

It was....somethin' else.

No, that's not an accurate descritption.  How do I describe it?

Well...

It was awful, terrible, a big disappointment.

Seriously.

We started the week with big plans and hopes for a great week.  The first three days were supposed to be sunny and decent temps so those days were going to be filled with fun outdoors.  Later in the week we would hit up the library {that was the 1st thing on Max's list that he wanted to do}.  There was also going to be a lot of football and basketball playing with Max's friend, Nathan.

Except, that's not what happened.  Sunday night Tucker threw up.  I wasn't sure if it was because he was just getting started on cow's milk, but when Ev did the same thing the next morning I knew we had the flu on our hands.  24 hours later and we would be back in the Spring Break business!

Except....

we weren't.  Because Everett was still throwing up.  You know, the same little boy who just got stitches a few days before?  That's the one.  He was utterly miserable and got himself so dehydrated that we were on the verge of taking him to urgent care {he absolutely refused to drink anything for hours - as in squeezed his lips shut when I tried even forcing some liquid down - and became so listless that he couldn't even sit up or talk.}  The triage nurse over the phone suggested trying ice chips...and I did...and it worked!  Urgent care averted.

But Wednesday was more of the same.  Except the added twist on this day was that Tyler and I joined the flu party.  It wasn't as bad for us and didn't last terribly long.  That night I was feeling so bad for Kelly and Max {but much better myself flu-wise} having been cooped up in the house so I told them to get their shoes on and surprised them by taking them to see The Croods.  {Wasn't expecting to like the movie...but I LOVED it.  I even cried.}  I thought that SURELY the next day Everett would be better and we could get on with our festivities.  I was, sadly, very wrong.  And worried.  How long can one little guy do this flu business?  His awesome cheeks were getting so skinny and his big belly was totally gone.  I decided to take him to the doc.  And, whaddya know?  He starts to get pretty chipper right before the appt.  But I still took him in.  Felt a little dumb, but whatever.  He was finally on an up-swing after that.

Friday was redemption day!  I took the kids to the park and then the library in the morning while Tyler stayed with Tuck who was napping.  I love the library.  Afterward we stopped by 7-11 for slurpees.  That evening we took the kids to the Bainbridge Aquatic Center and it was SO fun.  I loved it and so did they.  It was a really good night.  Saturday was General Conference and really great as well.  The weekend turned out wonderful.

There were a few other redemptive moments of the week:

  • On Monday Ty walked in after work and I started to cry.  It had been a long, flu-filled day with so much cleaning up of nastiness and so much crying and having to be so vigilant with two little boys, one of whom couldn't tell me what was coming and when. At one point I was changing a blowout diaper and heard Kelly yell from downstairs that Ev had just thrown up. Ugh. Anyway, back to the good evening.  I went upstairs to take care of Tucker and put some laundry away and came down to the "Tyler & Max Restaurant".  A table was set up in front of the entry to the kitchen so that nobody else would come in.  On the table was a sign: "Kichen Staff Only".  Max even created a menu for us to order off of.  He played manager/kitchen staff/waiter, Ty was the chef, and Kelly was the marketing director {in charge of decor, mostly}.  Oh man, I love them!  Such a sweet night.
  •  On Tuesday late evening Ev was a weepy mess.  I took him out on the porch bench to snuggle and to try and distract his sadness.  While we were out there, he climbed into the jogging stroller so I thought we would go get the mail and put the garbage out for the next day.  And then we kept walking around.  And then we asked if anyone wanted to join us on a walk.  I ended up with all of the kids and we went to the school where Kelly and I ran on the track and Max played football.  SO nice to be outside with all of my little people.
So it was awful, terrible, and a big disappointment...but it was also good, low-key, and I loved the time spent with my little fam.  I love them.  SO much.  And I am so glad that it is behind us.  


No comments: