Thursday, December 01, 2011

Thanksgiving - breaking it down

Wednesday
Ran around like crazy getting last-minute stuff done, adding to my list by dropping half of the batter for Ty's birthday cake on the floor, dishwasher, cabinets, walls, pictures. Sent the kids out to decorate the van for Ty's birthday since we were going to be in the van for a good portion of the day, came out to see them diligently taping (emphasis on the tape) crepe paper to the outside door of the van.  It looked great, but they needed to decorate the INside since it was raining like crazy.  Hopped in the van with some homemade cards and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (a favorite of the hub's) to pick up Ty on our way to the airport.  Finished decorating while we waited for Ty.  Surprised our wonderful birthday guy and sang him a song while we started our trip.  Drove onto the ferry and then to the airport where we very happily and excitedly picked up my parents!!!  Drove back to find that there was a 2-hour wait for the ferry.  Lame.  But it was past nap time for a certain 1-year-old and I knew that if we were to drive around it would be less than pleasant for everyone involved with him strapped in his seat.  So we waited it out and let the kids play.  We got home and went to work in the kitchen - turkey and stuffing for the next day, birthday dinner for my man.  We had a nice birthday dinner, then presents and cake, cooked/baked a few more things, chatted it up and hit the hay.

Thursday
Me and my momma headed out for the Bainbridge Island Turkey Trot...a nice 5K at Battle Point Park.  We ran with my friends, Tristalene and Sandy.  It was super cold, but a great course.  I was really happy with my time (30 minutes) since I'm, you know, with child and haven't run much at all in the past three months.  I was also SO proud of my mom!  The rain held off until we were pulling out of the parking lot, heading home.  We came home and I started the dough for my first-ever homemade rolls.  We did these gratitude rolls I found the idea for on Pinterest.  The guests (Lintons and Kents) rolled in around 2:00.  We watched football, talked, ate yummy appetizers, and then dove into the meal around 4:00.  The turkey was deemed "the best I've ever had in my life" by most (all?) of our guests.  My daddy brined, injected, and rubbed that baby.  It was so, so good.  And I am NOT normally a turkey lover.  Everything was delicious.  Perfect.  I loved the experience and the company.  I went to bed a very happy lady that night.



















Friday
No Black Friday shopping for us.  We're mostly done for Christmas and didn't see anything worth standing in line for two hours to get.  Oh, actually, Tyler DID go to Costco at 9:00 a.m. to get us a new point-and-shoot camera.  I was LAZY that morning.  It was kind of sunny out so that afternoon we headed out to get our Christmas tree!  We chose a new tree farm - Huberts - which proved a mistake.  If we'd known what kind of tree we wanted before we left, it would have gone much more smoothly.  But this place was HUGE (like 70 acres) and I felt like we should check out all of the types of trees they had...which meant a lot of getting in and out of the car.  I am picky and a picky woman like me just shouldn't have that many choices in front of her!  My poor little family and parents.  But find a tree we did!  It's beautiful.  Tyler and I went on a very nice date that night that included purchasing two shirts for my pregnant self and ending with some hot chocolate at a local coffee shop, having the best date conversation.  The kids got to play with my parents and make Karmel Korn with my Dad.  


Saturday
Decorated for Christmas (so fun to have Mom and Dad here to see it AND to have their help!)  Hit a few stores with my mom and made a framed jewelry holder with/for my mom.  Ate my dad's delicious fajitas for dinner and apple donuts for dessert.  Had a long, super fun dance party in the dark with glow sticks (a tradition with my mom and her grandkids).  Put the kids to bed and watched 17 Miracles - a really wonderful movie about the Mormon pioneers if you haven't seen it.

Sunday
Max spoke in sacrament meeting!!!  You likely don't know what a big deal this is, so I will dedicate a future post to this momentous event.  We left from church to take my parents to the airport. :(  It was SUCH a good visit, but much too short.  There was much sorrow from my two oldest children when we had to say goodbye.

What a great holiday!  Pretty lame that these are all of the pictures I have to show for it.  I am so thankful that my parents were able to be with us.  We're foregoing holiday visits with our families this year (and possibly future years?) because we also do reunions with each side and 4 trips a year is just so stinking expensive!  We're far, far away from those people we love.  I've felt kind of bummed all week because last week is over; I was looking forward to it for so long.  Thankfully there is the JOY that is Christmas to keep me busy!  AND I might be making a solo trip to Vegas in January to bridge the time between visits and meet my sister's soon-to-be-born little boy.  Life is good.  Reallly good.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thank you, Danalin, for including our family for Thanksgiving. We cherish your friendship and felt so much gratitude for your family that day and throughout the year. Your parents are so sweet and your dad has some serious skills in the kitchen...wow!