Monday, June 27, 2011

OUT!

Max to the Max had a big first last week. His first tooth fell OUT. I wasn't ready. I thought this business didn't start happening until well into the Kindergarten year, or even first grade. But happen it did. Why do I freak out about my oldest child growing up? I really need to get a grip, I think. I'm working on it.

We got back from the Ragnar (which was only like a day and a half) and my mom asks if I knew that Max had a loose tooth. Ummm...no. My first thought was that he'd hit it on something and knocked it loose, but further investigation proved that this loose tooth was legit; the adult tooth was poking out right behind/below it. So he wiggled and wiggled. I told him once to just keep wiggling it and he said, "Mom, you don't even have to tell me to wiggle it because I really LOVE to wiggle it." Tyler was out of town for work and wanted to be home for the big event so Max promised that he would shove it back in if it came out.

Well...

On Friday morning (Ty wouldn't see the kids until Saturday afternoon) Max exclaims, "Mom, look! My tooth is really loose now!" I look over and he has blood starting to pour out of his mouth. So I grabbed some paper towel and got the blood under control to find that the tooth was hanging by a thread, so I popped it out. He was a little bit THRILLED about the whole experience and quickly realized that he, in fact, could not shove it back in to wait for Dad. Oh well, we sent him some pictures and Max got to tell him all about it. We couldn't do the Tooth Fairy bit that night since Tyler and I would be gone...AND we've forgotten the two nights since. But tonight will be the night. If we remember. Is this kid going to be in college next month? That's how fast time seems to go.

And THAT is a really long explanation. I should have just said "My kid lost his first tooth"...but that's just not my style.


We are OUT of races that we're committed to for the year! And it feels so good. I can now run for the heck of it, or skip it if I'm not feeling it. On Saturday Tyler joined me for the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon in Seattle. We decided at the beginning of last week that we would make an overnight date out of it. So we lined up a wonderful babysitter (Quincy, a young woman from our ward), scrambled for a hotel (tricky when there are 33,000 or so people participating in the race), and met on the streets of Seattle (I walked onto the ferry and he was coming from the airport since he'd been in Florida most of the week for work). It was perfect. We checked into our (overpriced) hotel room, went to the Expo to pick up our race packets (where Tyler crazily signed up to run the FULL marathon next year...it was $40 off and he was feeling inspired!), walked on over to dinner at Romio's (VERY yummy) and were in bed by 9 pm since our alarm would be going off at 4:45 to catch the shuttle. Waking up at that hour wasn't super easy when we were kidless in a fancy-pants hotel room, but wake up we did.

It was so fun to be at the start line with my hubs! And that's about the last I saw of him until the finish line. I patted his bottom, said "I love you" and sent him off to run at his pace (which is much faster than mine) about 20 seconds after we crossed the start line. We both ran our best time and had a great experience. We made our way back to the hotel, laid our weary bodies on the beds for a while and then realized we would have to book it to make the ferry. So we ran ('cause we totally needed to run MORE that day), only to miss the Bremerton ferry we were trying to make. Bummer. Instead we took the Bainbridge ferry and our babysitter piled the kids into the van and picked us up. I came home to a super clean house and happy kids. (Thanks again, Quincy!) LOVED the experience.
About to start!
Looking happy (but nasty....and squinty) at the finish line

We came home, had lunch, and then headed OUT the door for a Civil War reenactment in Port Gamble. It was awesome. At least that's what Ty told me. I had to take Everett across the street where the cannons and guns weren't so loud. He was not a fan.


Max was in little boy HEAVEN

Now I am OUT of time and things to say. Peace out.

4 comments:

Our Deli-Sub said...

We are terrible about remembering the tooth ferry. Our forgetfulness has created a tradition in our house what when the tooth ferry forgets it's a good thing because it is a dollar for each night it is under the pillow. It helps with the guilt. Good job on your race!

campblondie said...

Our kids have never believed in the tooth fairy because of our inability to pull it off in a timely manner. It does feel like everything goes so fast doesn't it? Glad the race went well and mostly glad that judging from the sweatshirt Max is wearing, you are enjoying wonderful weather instead of 115. So jealous.

Auntie Elaine said...

I love your detailed blog AND love your family!! Keep it up sistah!!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!! i can't believe he lost his first tooth?! i wasn't planning on that happening for at least a year or two more?! way to go on another half marathon! so fun that you guys got to run one together! neal and i ran our first half together in may in issaquah. :)