Friday, June 10, 2011

Double Master

I asked Tyler last night when we got home from his MBA graduation if he wanted me to call him Double Master from now on and he agreed that it has a nice ring to it. Ha. Only if he'll call me Triple Master for mothering three little humans. When Tyler and I were engaged, I got to attend his thesis presentation and a few weeks before we were married, he graduated with his Masters in Mechanical Engineering. We didn't go to that graduation (it was held in April and he finished in December) because we were living across the country in New York and I wasn't around for all of the work, so I figured if he didn't care about going then we wouldn't make the trek.

Well, I WAS around for all of the work this time and there was no way we were going to miss last night's hooding ceremony. All of us were going. I was kind of questioning my wisdom in having all of the kids there last night when I talked to another wife who had left her kids at home and said there was no way she was going to bring them and was so happy to not have to worry about them. I realized Everett was likely going to be the noisiest kid in the room. But I am so glad that we all went...and I am so glad there weren't any verbose speakers. The whole thing was over in under an hour. Awesome. Luckily, we have an amazing friend, Russ Kent, who thinks our kids are great (I think he likes me and Tyler too) and asked if he could come. He was a HUGE help. We love you, Russ, and are so thankful to have your friendship. It meant so very much to have you there.

*Pictures below are from a little reception they had before the hooding ceremony*
Kelly Anne

The graduate and the babe who was there for half of this whole MBA business

Russ keeping the kids entertained...they can't wait to dig up his yard for some pirate treasure (a story he told them)

Don't mind us, we're just going to spread out and take all of the sitting room in the courtyard and use it as our table

The graduate with his three adorable babes...one who still manages to be cute with crazy eyes. He was holding all three. I LOVE this picture! My four favorite people.

*On to the Hooding Ceremony*

Hooded.

*Afterward Ty took us on a little tour of campus*

This is the room where a large portion of the learning occurred - Dougan 160

Russ and Tyler


I held myself together pretty well during the ceremony until one of the MBA student speakers thanked all of the family members who sacrificed and supported when they needed to do homework, go to class, meet with groups, etc. Then the tears began to flow. And I felt that it could easily turn into an ugly cry, but luckily I had my little peeps to keep quiet. Now, I know this wasn't as long or hard as medical school (we've got a lot of those doctor people in our family) or law school or dental school, but it was a challenge for us. Tyler worked full-time, served in the Young Mens organization at church, and fit in all of his class and homework at nights and on the weekends. He has been sleep deprived for the past two years, trying to do as much of his school work as possible when we were all sleeping. I didn't realize how dependent I was on Ty walking through the door every night until he didn't a few times a week. I don't know what it will be like to have Saturdays be Saturdays again and not homework days. But I am a more independent and confident momma than I was and Ty did SO much to make it obvious that his family came first above anything else. I am even more in love with him now than I was before. I like going through hard things together. You're my favorite person in this world, Tyler Michael. You rocked this MBA thing. I love you with all of my heart, Double Master. :)

6 comments:

Diana said...

What a proud moment! Congrats to you both for all your hard work. What adorable babies that endured this journey. So happy for you to have your Saturday's back again. Loved the part where you said you didn't start crying until they mentioned the families who supported them and how your cry could have turned into an ugly cry. I was trying to picture that on you. hmmmm... Probably not possible.

Goose said...

Way to go!!! Both of you. I am sure it wasn't easy. Glad it's over. The pictures of Ty and the kids is so cute. I love Max's eyes. And I love your outfit.

Kristen said...

Um that last comment was Kristen not Drew. My bad.

Mickey said...

Ty and Dana,
I had thought about getting an MBA earlier in my career, but with all the kids, work, church...etc. I just never thought I could swing it. Ty on the other hand being the Double Master that he is handled it beautifully and I'm telling you Dana, he knows as well as all of us that without you there every step of the way he could not have done it. You deserve your name on the MBA as well. Congratulations to Ty but really to both of you. A major step in your lives. Your next Dana!!

Love,
Dad

Emily Youngdell said...

Congrats to both of you!!! What an achievement. I am so happy for you Dana to have your husband back!!

Yo Mama said...

Congratulations!!!!! You should be so proud. And for yourself mostly. I know how hard it is to have a studying hubby. You look great, btw.