Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Farewell, Free Frumpy Fridge

Our fridge died. But it does not call for any sorrow. Not one tear. We were given this fridge when we moved into our home almost 3 years ago. It was the previous owner's garage fridge (read: old and unattractive, but still useful). And when you are buying a home and someone offers something free to furnish it, you take it (as long as it's something you need)! At least that's our motto. It was almond in color, which just wouldn't do. So I researched and then went to Home Depot to buy black appliance spray paint. I gave that baby a good coat of black paint, making it look rather dapper. But that doesn't mean the love was strong. The freezer door did not have bars, making the space in the door rather useless which caused many an annoyance. At one point we had duct tape on there as a makeshift bar (yes, we really are that classy), but duct tape doesn't hold all that well in freezing temperatures. But the thing kept our food cold and that's all we could ask. I was grateful to have a refrigerator.

Over the last month our milk was going bad. Milk doesn't go bad in this house. We are milk fanatics. We were perplexed, thinking that Costco had printed the wrong date on their milk. But after it happened twice I offered the explanation that perhaps our refrigerator wasn't cooling as it should. Sure enough, after a thermometer test, my theory was proven. Tyler thinks I sabotaged it (as in, cutting a wire or some other devious thing to move along the dying process). And maybe I did. Maybe my occasional thought, "I wish this thing would just die" did cause this poor old fridge to give up, knowing it wasn't loved. Appreciated, but not loved. Farewell, to the frumpy free fridge that served us well. We are grateful for your service, but let's be honest, we're not so sad to see you go.

Hello, GE Profile fancy pants fridge! Okay, so you, dear reader, may have a much fancier fridge, but this is about a million times fancier than what we had. It will be delivered on Monday. I will kiss it when it arrives.

9 comments:

val said...

whoa you can paint fridges? cool. your new fridge looks fancier than any fridge i've ever seen. funny how exciting new appliances are. i would LOVE a new fridge and am secretly hoping ours will die soon.

Madsen Family said...

give that puppy a kiss from me too b/c that is one nice fridge. i aspire to have a fridge that nice one day. lucky lady!

Emily Youngdell said...

I am SO jealous. We have the exact same fridge as your old one. Ours is white and ugly and not practical. The bottom drawer on the door is broken and it is so old. I think I might "accidently" break it... :)

Jamie Claire said...

What is it about new appliances that makes just about everyone smile---I love them. I walk through the appliances section in target all the time and then have to with stand the urge to buy a new appliance( who really needs a deep fryer or automatic can opener) Farewell to your old fridge and HELLLLOOOOOO to your pretty new one! And we will defintely have a date in August for the little ones to frolic

Shawna said...

I, too, love your new fridge. One day when we have a house, our fridge will be a loan from a family garage.

Unknown said...

NICE fridge!

Bonny said...

Hooray for new fridges!! I'm glad the old fridge finally bit the dust because the new one is SAAAAWEEEEEETTTTT!!

Dad said...

Danalin Foster,
Have you completely lost your mind? I must attribute your pregnancy as the cause for your momentary insanity on buying the new fridge. While I don't begrudge you your new fridge, I deeply, deeply resent a member of my family going out and buying...with money I suppose, a product that supports my mortal enemy....the General Electric Company. While I can understand your momentary insanity situation, there is absolutely no reason on earth that my son, Mr. Tylee Mike would allow a GE appliance in your home. Have you every heard of Maytag, or Amana or any freaking thing but GE? Tyler, it hurts man....it really hurts. What were you thinking? Did the drive back turn your brain to guacamole?

A very disappointed Dad.
Dad

janet said...

I love that your father in law used the word 'freaking' that was awesome.

so happy for you and your kitchen. I know you did a lot to keep that old thing going (and looking good) Just the other day, I was telling my friend that there is such a thing as fridge paint. Where did you get it, btw?