Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A little bit of this...

Let's see...not many exciting happenings around here. We are revisiting potty training with the Maxster. I guess I never reported, but we went back to pull-ups on our long trip in November. It was too much for the little man to remember to go to the bathroom when he was having so much fun with his cousins and we were forgetful in asking him if he needed to go. Way too much going on. When we got back from the trip he had ZERO interest in starting again so I had ZERO interest in forcing the issue. So here we are again...he's doing really well thus far. Man, I love that kid! He's been giving me some stress lately - acting out and doing things he knows will get a response, albeit negative. SO not like my Max. Sure, the kid has his moments, but he is a pretty great little boy. It's thrown me for a bit of a loop because it's out of character for him. The past few days I've been making sure to spend some really good time just the two of us and he's been much better. I think that maybe it's because Kelly is learning so many new things these days and so there is a lot of attention going her way and he wants a piece of it? That's what I've come up with. We're making sure to include him in helping us to teach Kelly new things as well as doing big boy activities with him when she's down for a nap. But at the same time I want him to understand that he doesn't get center stage all of the time and that he needs to share it a bit. I want to raise a really good, decent, kind kid and I hope that I am doing okay. *sigh*

Yesterday, during Kelly's nap, Max and I did some fun crafts. I got this idea off of a friend's blog. Meet Priscilla the Puppet and Rufus:This was Max's first time using scissors - I'd just never thought of letting him before. He LOVED cutting. Then we made valentine's for all of his cousins and he got to do a lot more cutting and drawing. I love creating stuff with him like that.
----------------------------------------------------
Kelly's two top teeth FINALLY broke through. Man, that girl must have some thick gums or something. Poor little woman. The teeth seem to sit just under the surface for about a month, making her gums look swollen and painful. Then the actual cutting takes about a week. Max's came in much easier and faster than that. She's had some frustrated squealing moments where you can tell she's in pain, but mostly she's been herself. She has more defined likes and dislikes than Max did...well, maybe she just has a louder way of telling us about them. :) Oh, she found her first joke. She learned a few weeks ago where her nose was and so she would point to it every time we asked her. We're also working on ears and eyes and mouth. The other day I asked where her nose was and she pointed to her ear. I thought she was just confused and I said, "What? That's not your nose!". She laughed and then pointed to her forehead so I repeated what I'd said. She laughed again and we kept doing it as she got closer and closer and then finally pointed to her nose. So now she loves when I ask where her nose is and we have to do it just like that every time. What a kidder! Check out her long 'lashes and all of that hair:
What a babe!
---------------------------------------------
Do I have any fellow Dr. Suess lovers? The man's books crack me up. Here's my favorite line right now: "And oh! Just suppose you were poor Harry Haddow. Try as he will he can't make any shadow! He thinks that, perhaps, something's wrong with his Gizz. And I think that, by golly, there probably is." That's from Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? What is your favorite Dr. Suess book? I've been amazed since becoming a mom and going to the library at just HOW many books he's written and while many of them are the same style, he's got some real thought-provoking themes to many of them. Ever read The Butter Battle Book? Kind of dark, actually.
-------------------------------------------------
Like I said, not much going on. Just a few thoughts for the day!

10 comments:

val said...

Annie LOVES "Oh the Thinks you can Think." She has all the last words in the sentences memorized we've read it so much. I wasn't a big Dr. Suess fan growing up but I am as a mom.

Shawna said...

My dream is to join that Dr. Suess club. How fun to get new books every month!
I'm glad to hear about Kelly's teeth! I'm thankful that so far Mandy hasn't had any teeth act too stubborn, though I'm sure we'll run across them soon. She sounds like such a funny little girl. And you're right, a total little babe. Her lashes are so thick!
I love the grin on Max in the second photo with his puppets. Adorable!

The Nicks Family said...

I remember when Grant became mobile and started doing things, Haden had been great with him up to that point. Then he started acting out towards Jeff and I as well as Grant. We had to go through the same thing. The time will pass and then they will be buds, but it is definitely not fun while it lasts! You are doing a great job by giving him the extra attention!
We love Dr. Suess in our house, right now a favorite is Green Eggs and Ham. Such fun books!!!
Love ya!

Unknown said...

I am sure you are doing all you can for Max right now and it is just a phase! That sweet little man won't stay like that forever! Kelly's hair and lashes are getting so long! She is so pretty and i just want to squeeze her!! I love ya D!

Unknown said...

I am sure you are doing all you can for Max right now and it is just a phase! That sweet little man won't stay like that forever! Kelly's hair and lashes are getting so long! She is so pretty and i just want to squeeze her!! I love ya D!

Unknown said...

I am sure you are doing all you can for Max right now and it is just a phase! That sweet little man won't stay like that forever! Kelly's hair and lashes are getting so long! She is so pretty and i just want to squeeze her!! I love ya D!

Monique said...

My favorite Dr. Seuss book is "Oh the Places You'll Go" but Madilyn's is "One fish, Two Fish". I don't know if there is a Pottery Barn close to you but they are having the Cat in the Hat visit their stores this month. You might want to check it out

melia said...

Don't worry about Max. Everything is a phase. 3 was a hard year for me. I felt ill prepared for my drama girl.

Dr. Seuss is awesome. Our favorites are "Go Dog Go." and "Mrs. Wow Never Wanted a Cow"

Kelly looks cute.

janet said...

love dr seuss. so do my kids. our current fave is Wocket in my Pocket. but it's hard to just pick one. I love them for the deep meanings and my kids love them because of the all crazy made-up words..

Anonymous said...

t's such a important site. imaginary, extraordinarily fascinating!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://debianusers.pl/medycyna,zdrowie,uroda-2248,l-opony/ ]opony[/url]