Monday, May 12, 2008

Two Old!

On Friday, May 9th, my baby boy turned two. Aaagh! And if you ask him how old he is, he'll respond, "Two old!" Every once in a while he'll throw the "years" in there, but I quite prefer it without.

It was a grand day! We started the day off with blue pancakes and red milk. Why, you ask? Because colored pancakes and milk are much more exciting than a boring pancake breakfast that he could have any day of the year. And this wasn't just another day...it was his birthday! So to celebrate we spiced up the colors a bit. He even got to put the blue food coloring into the pancake batter. Thrilling!



Then we opened three presents - two shirts that he got to choose between for the day and a new pair of shoes. We've been stuffing his poor feet into shoes that were getting WAY too small. I just kept thinking that he should last until his birthday because he would be excited to get shoes for his birthday. And he didn't disappoint. When I put him down for his nap that afternoon, he really wanted to sleep in them and since it was his special day, I obliged. All throughout the morning I sang him all of the Happy Birthday songs I knew.Mid-morning we headed to our favorite park to meet Reyes and Marcela for some good slide/teeter-totter/throw rocks in the water time.
Then we went to buy some new PJ's at Old Navy. Max is no longer a fan of footie pajamas and he only has 4 pair without so I thought we should get some more. That evening was a ward musical talent show (more on that later) and afterward we came home and opened his presents. I think he felt pretty loved and special. And rightfully so since he's a very lovable and special kid!
I didn't plan on being awake at the exact time of his birth (12:09 a.m.), but we had watched LOST and then I still had to decorate the living room. I was taking off my makeup when I looked at the clock and it read 12:08. So I walked into my little man's bedroom, stared at him for a bit and then kissed him on his head. I was overcome by the memory and emotion of his birth and how it completely changed my life; every little detail came flooding into my mind. Max was so alert when he was born. They put him on my chest and I started to talk to him as they were cleaning and doing what doctors and nurses do to a mom and baby right after a birth. As soon as I started speaking, he looked up right into my face and was completely still. Not a sound, not a movement. Just a mom and her new baby meeting for the first time in mortality. I recalled at that moment something that had been said in a blessing when I was pregnant with Max - something to the effect of us being able to continue a relationship here that we began as spirits before we came to earth. And at that moment, I knew it was true. It seemed like so much was communicated between us in that moment - like nobody else was around and our spirits were connecting. They finally took Max to weigh and measure him. The doctor asked Ty if he could pinch him or something because he wanted to hear him cry. I turned to the nurse and said, "I want to do this again!" One of the most incredible moments of my life. I will never forget it. I was forever changed. The memory came to a close and I walked out of Max's room, shut the door and wept. I absolutely love being his mom!

9 comments:

The Nicks Family said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Max!! Crazy to think it has been 2 years, but such an exciting 2 years it has been. You are one awesome kid and I am so glad that we have gotten to know you. We hope you had a great birthday!!!

campblondie said...

Happy Birthday little man! It goes so fast huh? I know I would feel special if someone made me a colorful breakfast! Or any breakfast for that matter.

Madsen Family said...

Happy B-day Max! I can't believe he is two old:) He is too, too cute for being just two! And you are the best mommy...and a hot mama, too: love the new do!

Emily Youngdell said...

Wow, I can't believe Max is 2! I remember the e-mail you sent out when he was born and it doesn't seem that long ago. What a cute little boy, Dana.
Everytime my girls have a birthday I always get really sentimental and a tad bit emotional. I too would look at the clock and remember what was going on that exact moment. I hope that Max had a wonderful Birthday!

janet said...

Happy Birthday Maxter! What a BIG boy he is!! You deserve to celebrate his birth because it was one CRAZY delivery! You are a good looking mama of two. I love the hair! and I love that he says he's two old. My kids are all too old.

Jamie Claire said...

Happy Birthday handsome Max! He is so adorable and I prefer the two old as well! You are a great mom Dana, your little ones are so lucky to have you and I hope and pray your little family continues to grow and thrive. Much love to you! happy late mothers day!

aaron and allee said...

Happy birthday to your sweet little guy! Thanks for sharing the bit about the blessing you received and the experience you had with Max just after he was born. It made me cry. I love sneaking in to watch Mason sleep because there is such a feeling of joy.

Marleen said...

Happy birthday Max. Two old is too cool. Hope your day was all your little two year old mind wanted.

Emily Youngdell said...

Dana, I know that your birthday was yesterday but I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!! (I tried to find your number so I could call you, but I don't have it. I need to get that from you again.)
I hope that you had a wonderful day! Love you lots.