Sunday, April 17, 2011

Max-isms



Tyler calls Kelly Sweet Daughter or Daughter Dearest quite often. The other day Max came into me quite sad and said, "I don't like when Dad calls Kelly Sweet Daughter." I asked why and he said, with tears in his eyes, "It makes me feel like he doesn't love me." I asked what Dad calls him and he sadly said, "He just calls me son." "Well, what do you want him to call you?" I asked. "Tough son" was the reply. I encouraged him to go and talk to his dad about it. He did and Tyler felt really bad. I've heard a whole lot of Tough Son around here the last few days. :)

----------------------------------------

Overheard while he was playing by himself:
"This Batman mask keeps me safe from sin. If sin comes and hits me on the head...NONSENSE! I won't do anything bad."
----------------------------------------
Max: Do you know my favorite tool that a fireman uses?
Me: Yes!
Max (before I could say what it was): A pick ax!
Me: I already knew that. I know my son.
Max: You don't know EVERYTHING that I know.
Me: Like what?
Max: Like...that I like shutting doors.
Me: I didn't know that. Why do you like shutting doors?
Max: I just like the way that it sounds (makes door-shutting noises)
Me: What else don't I know about you?
Max: That I like watching fans spin around.
Me: Why?
Max: It looks like they're having a race...around, around, around. Like on Cars because the track is a circle.

-----------------------------------

Max (as he's putting his dishes into the sink after breakfast): Mom, my belly won't ever look the same, will it?
Me: What do you mean?
Max: I'm gonna get fat.
Me: Why do you think that?
Max: I don't know. I'm just gonna get fat.
Me: When?
Max: When I'm really old.

--------------------------------------
The next few I've posted on Facebook, but want to put on the ol' blog because this will be made into a book and I don't want to forget them....

The other day Max asks me what hostage means. I told him it means that you are like a prisoner. He says, "I'm not a hostage, Kelly's not a hostage, you're not a hostage, Dad's not." I told him that we are lucky to not be hostages and he says, "Well, Kelly and I are KIND OF like hostages when you guys get mad at us." I couldn't help but laugh. Yeah, time out is pretty darn rough, dude.

------------------------------------------

Max has started interpretive scripture reading (like interpretive dancing) when it's his turn to repeat the scripture. It makes scripture time so much longer, but so entertaining.

-------------------------------------------

This morning I was reorganizing in the kid's closet and Kelly came across her baby blankets. She was exclaiming over and over about their cuteness. Max said to her, "YOU'RE cute." Made my day. :)

------------------------------------------

Positive self-talk is important, even on the potty. Max, age 4 (overheard): "You can do it, Max, come on! Push it out! You can do it. I know you can." I know, kind of gross. But funny.

--------------------------------------------

Loved Max's logic behind his NCAA bracket picks - Georgetown because Curious George is cool; Penn State because you're using a pen (to fill in the bracket); Pitt because Gary (a guy in our ward) likes the Pittsburgh Steelers; NOT Morehead because that's a weird name - More Heads!; and choosing between the Huskies and Cougs for the final (of course) he went with BYU because they had 30 wins and Mom is 30. :) Love him!

---------------------------------------------

Tonight the song My Favorite Things came on Pandora I had playing on a speaker. I could tell Max was thinking about something and just as the song was ending he said, "She says these are a FEW of her favorite things, but there are actually a LOT of things." Ha!

----------------------------------------------

Tonight as I put the kids to bed Max asked how exactly we get to heaven. I told him I wasn't sure and he offered that maybe stairs come down and our spirits walk up them after they leave our bodies. I told him that was a good thought and that we'll find out eventually how it works. He said, "Yeah, maybe in Kindergarten they'll teach me about how we get to heaven." :)

-----------------------------------------------

Kelly just came into the room, freaking out about a bug on her book. Max went to the bathroom, grabbed some toilet paper, and marched toward the book, exclaiming, "I''m on it, Kelly!" That bug doesn't stand a chance.

Our little man is growing up and, as you can tell, brings regular entertainment to our household. We love, love, love him.

6 comments:

Mickey said...

We all love our Maxter!

Shawna said...

Those are so great. I really need to start writing down Mandy's funny stuff, too.

Betsy B. said...

My heart ached a little for him when he was sad that Kelly had a special name. I'm glad it all got worked out. And by the way, Sean wants to move in. :)

Kristen said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Max. Seriously, I just can't get enough of him.

Carrie said...

Okay, I'm dying! A lot of people post funny things their kids say and I have to admit, I usually skim over them, but THIS little Max is beyond funny and completely adorable! I was seiously laughing out loud! "Tough son" sure is a funny little man! Are these not the moments when you think to yourself, "how did I get so darn lucky?"

janet said...

love all of these. My older boys ALWAYS want to hear/read the funny things they said when they were younger and I am so glad I wrote them down. Seriously, these are priceless. Max is one cool, TOUGH kid!